Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ssch-36

Article about: by RichieC We frown upon the "It is a fake" Dear Colleague, I did not write that this helmet is a fake. I point to the fact that it is a fantasy, because in the Red Army never used

Default Ssch-36

I am new to Ssh-36 helmets and correct me if I am wrong. There is a stamp on the back 3-1360, the first number is the size and the last four are the batch number? Is there anyway to find out the year of manufacture? Also I have seen pictures with a star glued on a M-15 helmet but not a m-36. Any comments would be great.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ssch-36   Ssch-36  

Ssch-36  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ssch-36
    P
    Many

Dom
    ?

Default Re: Ssch-36

Hi
    I ask myself the same question regarding the star of M15
    Indeed it seems that there was something to stick on your helmet

Ssh36 digits dated

It is my understanding that the star, (open/or solid) was painted on the model 1917 Sohlberg, model 1926 Adrian, and all later Soviet produced kaska. Some Officers did have a hole drilled, and a regular cockade installed, but enlisted normally had the painted star, if any star at all.

Enlisted model 1926 Adrian

Officers model 1926 Adrian

Boridin

By the way, for anyone interested, Prairie Flower Leather Company is working on producing a replacement liner kit for the SSCh-36 style kaska. He plans to produce both the first, and second version of the liner eventually.

Prairie Flower Leather Company

Boridin

Quote by RedHorseman25 View Post
    It is my understanding that the star, (open/or solid) was painted on the model 1917 Sohlberg, model 1926 Adrian, and all later Soviet produced kaska. Some Officers did have a hole drilled, and a regular cockade installed, but enlisted normally had the painted star, if any star at all.

Enlisted model 1926 Adrian

Officers model 1926 Adrian

Boridin
    Russian Helmets by: Robert Clawson (Militaria) at Collector Bookstore
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Richie;

I am familiar with the book, but I am not sure what you point is?

Boridin

Quote by RedHorseman25 View Post
    Richie;
    I am familiar with the book, but I am not sure what you point is?
    Boridin
    I think the implication is that your comments regarding EM versus Officer Soviet Adrians might warrant further research as it is counter to the current wisdom. In addition, the helmets offered as specimens certainly appear to be reconstructions as neither one represents what is considered to be the "classic" or archetype Soviet adrian helmet.

In a pinch this was what I could find... the helmet shown in this wartime poster shows the archetype helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ssch-36  

I did just realize that the poster shows an earlier Adrian and the "EM/Officer's" shown in the photos posted are, as stated, the Model 26. I apologize for the oversight my haste created. Regardless, I would still contend that the two specimens shown are reconstruction. Maybe the poster is well aware of that and just did not mention it.

The model 26 Adrian, that has the cockade on the front, was sent to me by a friend who bought it in Russia two years ago. He bought it at a flea market, and was told that it had been worn by a relative of the seller, who had served in one of the Red Army units sent to the Spanish Civil war. This style of helmet was issued to them while in Spain, and when they withdrew to return to the Soviet Union, they took the helmets with them. Upon return to the SU, they refurbished the helmets for service in their "rifles" regiment, and wore them until these were replaced by the model 36 helmet in their regiment.

This particular helmet had had a cockade applied for use by an officer (the wearer was a Capitan in his company). The original cockade was included, but was severely damaged, so I used a later one that I had, that looked similar. When they got the model 36 helmets, most of these model 26 Adrians were not collected, and this officer sent his home. After he retired from the Army, post GPW, he served in his local fire brigade, and wore the Adrian helmet for that purpose.

When my friend found this helmet at the flea market, it was old, mildly rusty, and the paint was in poor shape. It had been over painted by blue, and red paint, but the original Red Army green was still partially visible. I choose to bead blast, and completely re-paint this shell to re-create as close to the original Soviet use as I could.

The enlisted version is one I bought on E-Bay, and did up as an enlisted version just to show the difference between the two.

Boridin

?

Hi!
    In the Red Army never used helmets Adrian M26 model.
    In your photo ordinary French helmet, they are often sold at flea markets and military stores. Your friend is mistaken.
    Regards, Vitaly

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast