Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

SSch40 Wartime Helmet?? Post War?? Help Needed

Article about: Hello everyone!! "Is This A WW2 Helmet" : ) Here are some pics of a SSh-40 helmet I was thinking of purchasing for my collection or WW2 Soviet/Russian items. I know this is a very

?

Default Re: SSch40 Wartime Helmet?? Post War?? Help Needed

Here is the textbook example
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSch40 Wartime Helmet?? Post War??  Help Needed   SSch40 Wartime Helmet?? Post War??  Help Needed  

SSch40 Wartime Helmet?? Post War??  Help Needed   SSch40 Wartime Helmet?? Post War??  Help Needed  

SSch40 Wartime Helmet?? Post War??  Help Needed   SSch40 Wartime Helmet?? Post War??  Help Needed  

Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSch40 Wartime Helmet?? Post War??  Help Needed
    P
    Many

Very nice Dimas, How much for your friend in florida? : )
    Let me ask you, did No WW2 SSch40 helmet have a metal end/tip on the chinstrap?
    Is there a controversy about that with collectors? Why is my chinstrap on backwards, were they still in a big hurry after the war? or did the Soviets just not care about such a small defect postwar?

Regards, Steve

Quote by ZERO View Post
    The M40 was used in romania too , my helmets are like this and one got the stamp for romanian army 1957.my helmets got an small star(inside of visor , no paint) and no serial numbers like your, same liner ,strap.regards adrian.
    Hello Adrian!! thank you for the info. Very interesting. Please post a pic if you can sometime. I would like to see. Regards, Steve

Ost-Berlin
    ?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Here is the textbook example
    For me it's the first time I see a white chinstrap like this. I'm not use to this liner configuration as well. These must be quite difficult to find!

Are all these features factory issued parts?

Nice helmet Dimas... I have a brother to it, but with the more typical liner material. Same date, same type chinstrap, same stamp.

This type is textbook IMHO for a 1944-1945 production helmet. The nearly white, natural colored chinstrap is typical.

I would disagree with some chinstrap absolutes suggested in this thread. Chinstrap width (web type) can vary from 17-18 to 20-22. I suspect Dimas' hemet is in the 18-20mm range. This is also where most Ssh-39 chinstraps fall. They were fairly standardized by 1941 in this regard at both LMZ and 3KO... (but I think the 3KO did not have a metal termination on it which is another topic altogether) However, it is possible to find1939 and 40 made Ssh-39 helmets with 22mm chinstraps. These are ususally fairly thin and lack any metal termination on the end.

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Let me ask you, did No WW2 SSch40 helmet have a metal end/tip on the chinstrap?
    Is there a controversy about that with collectors?
    Steve,

Very good question. I have brought it up about three times now on this forum and one other. I even started a thread "Ssh-40 revisted" a while back on this forum and it has gotten zero discussion. I am thinking the answer is that no one knows for certain. Given the time period that LMZ transitioned to Ssh-40, there is certainly possibility that some did have the metal tip in 1942 and possibly 43. I have never seen one on a 44 or 45 dated helmet such as Dimas has shown us though.

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Sorry, I mean this font configuration
    Ok, the font... the style or the height? I have no problem with the height (nor the font style either really, but I'd like to hear your opinion). Ssh-39 and Ssh-40, wartime, can be found with either 4mm impressed numbers or 6mm.

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Steve,

Very good question. I have brought it up about three times now on this forum and one other. I even started a thread "Ssh-40 revisted" a while back on this forum and it has gotten zero discussion. I am thinking the answer is that no one knows for certain. Given the time period that LMZ transitioned to Ssh-40, there is certainly possibility that some did have the metal tip in 1942 and possibly 43. I have never seen one on a 44 or 45 dated helmet such as Dimas has shown us though.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dimas
    Sorry, I mean this font configuration
    Ok, the font... the style or the height? I have no problem with the height (nor the font style either really, but I'd like to hear your opinion). Ssh-39 and Ssh-40, wartime, can be found with either 4mm impressed numbers or 6mm.

Hello Wesley's dad! Yes I saw your post on the chin straps etc, and wondered why no response either. It must be like you say, no one knows for sure, or it is a stupid idea and questions. I think the former of the two most probably. I think it was/is an interesting topic.

What do you personally think about my first Soviet helmet purchase? So far it has got a No, and a Yes for war time, and a couple maybe's. What about the chin strap buckle being installed backwards? Also the mismatched liner pads, one with the "graylex" "geometric" looking fabric? Looking at the fasteners under the pads, they have never been replaced it appears.

Regards, Steve

Steve,

I do not think it is a stupid question at all, but important infromation needed by collectors to understand helmet configurations during the 1942/43 time period.

Add me to your Maybe list. I wish I could be more definitive, but it is just not possible with this helmet in my opinion.

The chinstrap reversal and mismatched liner pads are not of significance. Regarding the chinstrap, you see mis-sewn items on wartime Soviet field equipement with some regularity. I can see having a helmet in a reverse position on an assembly line would be an easy thing to do and probably did happen. Liner pads of mis-matched patterns are very common. Particularly in helmets made 1950 and earlier. Three pads per helmet was important, what they looked like was not.

Hi Michael, OK, thanks for opinions and info. I am storing all this up for the next one.
    I will leave it on the helmet stand until I find a dated one, or one that has all the agreeable features of a WW2 helmet. At least I did not pay too much for the mystery helmet. I only have 100% original everything, except maybe this helmet, and will find wartime one sometime. In fact I have a line on 2 SSch36 helmets. One complete, and the other missing liner, but has straps. Both have excellent paint (green) but not real cheap either. I like the look of the SSch39-40 helmets a little better. I was going to have just one good example. Maybe Dimas will sell me one of his cheap. : )
    Regards, Steve

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast