Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ssch68 Helmet Cover

Article about: We picked up this Ssch68 this past weekend, at a local swap meet. My question is with the cover, has anyone ever seen one like this? The seller made no claim of the covers authenticity and i

Default Ssch68 Helmet Cover

We picked up this Ssch68 this past weekend, at a local swap meet. My question is with the cover, has anyone ever seen one like this? The seller made no claim of the covers authenticity and in fact stated that it, more likely than not, did not belong to the helmet however, he was not sure of this. The cover sure fits nice, like it was meant for this helmet. I searched several sources and did not find anything that matched this cover, for a Ssch68, but my search was certainly not all inclusive. Any input would be appreciated. I really like the cover but if it’s not authentic to an Ssch68 then I’ll have to leave it off and go find me another.

Ssch68 Helmet Cover

Ssch68 Helmet Cover

Ssch68 Helmet Cover

Ssch68 Helmet Cover

Ssch68 Helmet Cover

Thanks,

Russ & Son

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ssch68 Helmet Cover
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Ssch68 Helmet Cover

I think it's russian. Here's a quote from camopedia:
    "Since 2000 a reinterpretation of the old Soviet "sunray" camouflage pattern has been issued to MVD Interior Troops and Frontier troops of the FSB (Federal Security Service). The new pattern is called Берёзка (Berezhka) (birch tree) and despite some coloration differences it is certainly based on the original design."

And a picture for reference:

Nitram

Thanks for the info Nitram, gives me something to look in to. I sure hope it's a mate to this helmet, it sure looks good on it

?

Strange design, and it's very difficult to sew. Typically soviet and russian covers are made of two - three large parts. On outside of them can sew on bands and belt loops. Not sure about this cover is a typical model.

Quote by mixer View Post
    Strange design, and it's very difficult to sew.
    Yes Mixer, I agree, very hard to sew. I searched the net again last night and although I did find several examples of Russian covers using this digi cam pattern, I found none that were sewn this way. I did however come across a Chinese cover of similar sewn design, although not the same digi cam pattern material. Ironically, the Chinese cover I found was affixed on to what appeared to be a Ssch68 helmet. I did also noticed that the Japanese used a similar sewn pattern on there WWII covers however, I was unable to find a modern example.

Russ

hi russ and son ,very nice looking lid you got there what the date on the lid early 1990's ? i like the cover too ,ive not seen this type of cover before that doesnt mean that its not soviet though all im saying is all the rusky helmet covers ive seen for the ssch 68 seem to have a looped band around the lower part almost like pockets for holding items i guess ,i like the cammo though and is definately worth keeping nice find ,james

Quote by col james View Post
    hi russ and son ,very nice looking lid you got there what the date on the lid early 1990's ?
    Col, as this lid appears to be a repain/re-issue the original stamp has been painted over so I can not date the helmet. There is a circular stamp, right in the center of the crown, but I can not make out what it says and I am assuming this to be the size stamp. I am not very familiar with these helmets so I don't know if other distictave featurs, such as bad color or chin strap style help to date it....if anyone can shed any light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

As for the cover, I spent a couple more hours seaching the internet but came up empty. I am not ready to rule out that this is not an origianl M-68 cover yet and hope that maybe one of the experts will chime in and confirm, or that I will find one in my searches. If it turns out to be a goose egg, I will likely obtain one of the covers that you described, I've seen several and like there looks!

Russ