Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SSH 39 opinions

Article about: Dear sirs, I have been offered this helmet for a fair price of 50 euros and thought I would go for it despite rather poor pictures. not sure about the liner and manufacture date though (if s

Jan
    ?

Default SSH 39 opinions

Dear sirs,

I have been offered this helmet for a fair price of 50 euros and thought I would go for it despite rather poor pictures. not sure about the liner and manufacture date though (if someone would like to try to help out with the stamp already at this stage I would appreciate it). I have understood that this type of liner is quite late?

All comments welcome.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSH 39 opinions   SSH 39 opinions  

SSH 39 opinions   SSH 39 opinions  

SSH 39 opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSH 39 opinions
    P
    Many

Post-war factory refit. Date is probably 1950's and up. 50Eur is a good price. These are pretty rare.

Jan
    ?

Quote by llegion View Post
    Post-war factory refit. Date is probably 1950's and up. 50Eur is a good price. These are pretty rare.
    Thank you so much for the fast reply! Do you mean that the shell and liner are of a different date (post 1950´s liner on a WW2 shell?)

Best, Jan

The post war things are: liner, chinstrap and paint.

Jan
    ?

Thanks alot, can´t wait to see it in hand!

Best, Jan

The "spider stamp" is the most notable indication of the helmet being post-war. Others being the liner and paint job.

ремонтирует-repaired helmet

Jan
    ?

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    The "spider stamp" is the most notable indication of the helmet being post-war. Others being the liner and paint job.

ремонтирует-repaired helmet
    Thanks for this information and the very interesting thread!

Best, Jan

Jan, a couple things:
    1) Since at the time of the refit it would have had a postwar chinstrap anyway, I wouldn't feel a bit guilty about getting one off a cheap postwar ssh40 and putting it on here to complete it, just make sure you get one dated '53 or earlier so it has rivets that connect it to the bale, and make sure the rivets aren't too rusty so you can take them off and put them back on again. Sometimes you can find cheap ssh40s on ebay missing a liner but still having chinstraps, or having dented/cracked shells
    2) Looks like a wide gap between the wooden table and the brim of the helmet, is it 4.0 centimeters or 2.5? If it's 4.0, I believe that's an early ssh39 shell made in '39 or early '40. If it's 2.5 I'd guess it was made in late '40 or '41.

Cool helmet, I love these types, thanks for showing it.
    Kevin

?

The rivet placement on the SSh39 shell means that the SSh40 liner doesn't sit as it should. I read somewhere (maybe on this forum!) that these refurbs were only meant for training. You often see them stamped as such.

Jan
    ?

Thanks for the kind and informative input Kevin and Boycie I just received news that the helmet is in the mail! According to the seller it was originally bought on a flea market i Russia (Karelia) some 20 years back.

Best, Jan