Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Ssh 39 and Ssh 40

Article about: by Totenhead How does this one seem ?? Cheers I would have kept this one

?

Default Re: Ssh 39 and Ssh 40

I will check it out. It does not look like there are added any rivets.

Regards, Lars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ssh 39 and Ssh 40
    P
    Many

Dom
    ?

It n 'is a single rivet leg with a T to maintain the liner with a counterplate as the 40

Ssh 39 and Ssh 40Ssh 39 and Ssh 40

?

Thank you Dom Do you have an opinion on the Ssh-40? I have been waiting for you to chime in actually

Regards, Lars

Dom
    ?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Thank you Dom Do you have an opinion on the Ssh-40? I have been waiting for you to chime in actually

Regards, Lars
    The stamp LMZ 43 is legitimate for me, I think this helmet was repainted after the war .

?

I have been looking at this stamp and comparing with many others, and i like the digit "4" especially. Also it does not look like the faked '48 made in to '43. Thank you very much for your time Dom

Regards, Lars

Lars,

The 40 stamp is fine. LMZ started using this stamp sometime in 1942. Late 41/early 2 is when LMZ made the transition to Ssh-40 from Ssh-39. By 1948, LMZ used the "spider" styled logo, so it is not a modified 48 stamp. It is OK. The paint is most likely postwar garrison guard or parade paint. The chinstrap could be a replacement, but I do have an early Ssh-40 with something similar.

The Ssh-39 is strange. My opinion is that the liner swap is a collector or seller done conversion to make a complete helmet. The helmet Dom shows is the typical Ssh-39/40 hybrid type with the pads hanging on brackets. These are post war conversions and are usually found with the "spider" stamp I mention and are often marked "Training" in Russian on the inside of the dome.

?

Thank you Michael. Much appreciated additional input Especially on the '40.

About the '39 liner i have been thinking a lot myself The seller i know and he made no attempt to mislead. He told me right away the liner was "bad", which is obvious. IMO the helmet is a post reissue. All stamps and most of the paint on the inside is gone. I will post some pics of how the liner pads are attached when time permits. I might just try and find a period ' liner and put in.

Regards, Lars

Lars,

Are the pads in the 39 shell installed like Dom's or not? As he says, it is a long inverted "T" shaped bracket that attaches to the standard 39 rivet positions and makes provision to attached the standard Ssh-40 liner pad at the bottom. The result is pad locations that are ALMOST in the proper position. However, the front two pads in these helmets are farther back in the shell that a factory Ssh-40. This makes them unstable on the head, and why I suspect they are mostly marked "training".

Dom
    ?

To be exact LMZ adopts the spider logo in July 1946, already present on helmets dated 1947

Ssh 39 and Ssh 40

?

I think you can almost see the "T" brackets in this pic. The helmets are in my garage/storage, so i will take pics of them attachment asap I have a 1 yr old daughter and have run out of space.

Don't know if the brackets are home made or issue so to speak

Ssh 39 and Ssh 40

Regards, Lars

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast