Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ssh36 pickup

Article about: hi guys and gals my latest purchase unfortunately no liner but a good solid shell with some paint remenants i have lightly oiled the surface for now and it very nearly completes my soviet he

Default Re: ssh36 pickup

many thanks rich i learn something new

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ssh36 pickup
    P
    Many

better daylights picsssh36 pickupssh36 pickupssh36 pickupssh36 pickup

Nice line up James....the new 36 looks geat

many thanks russ

I was at the Malvern militaria show this last weekend (as I write) and for the first time ever had a ssh36 in my hand; I was somehow surprised at how light it seemed. It's such a robust-looking design that somehow I expected it to be much heavier. It seemed like a good example, with liner (second cloth one) and what looked to me like a replacement chinstrap (but still within period), and was generally a very desirable object indeed. Just short of £400. Might have been able to wheedle the dealer down a few pounds but not, I suspect, very much. In any event it was a lot more than the amount of cash I had on me, and whichever way you cut it 300+ is a hell of a lot to spend on a bit of ex-army scrap (I exaggerate in jest, of course (of course).

The thing is that I am now very much regretting not buying the damned thing. That was in fact a very good price for a complete example and you don't see them around every day. What is money after all, only tokens to give to Tesco and pay the electricity bill with...

I console myself with the slight suspicion it might have been a very well-done replica.

hi greg ,thats a real pity you didnt aquire it but as you say its a whole lot of money for one helmet i paid close to 100 quid for this relic condition example but to think i could of paid in excess of this amount for a composite us mich it makes it a very reasonable purchase but im glad i did as its now one of my favorites in my collection ,ive never heard of Ssh replica's before ,is it likely it was completely refurbed and can i ask if it had the large red star stencil on the front i have seen refurbed relics on internet auction sites i believe for the re-enactors market thanks james

Hi Guys, when I bought mine back in 2001 I think it was, and it cost me £80. It can be seen on the forum.

There are replicas made for re-enactors, but these are not designed to fool, being made out of resin. They look quite good from a distance and one or two of the guys in my unit have them. Here are some pics care of Schuster.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ssh36 pickup   ssh36 pickup  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

many thanks adrian i never realised they were made of resin can i ask if pound for pound they weigh roughly the same as the original ,thanks james

Hi James, they are a bit lightweight compared to a real one.

I must agree with Greg's comment about these too: when you do pick up a real one for the first time, they do feel lighter than one would imagine.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Well, as regards 'fakes', I can't give you absolute chapter and verse about this but I have heard of their existence enough times to know to be careful. Obviously the fakes will be examples that are to all intents and purposes complete, with liners and chinstraps (no point faking an incomplete relic, after all) and appropriate ageing. I have seen photos of known fakes and they do look convincingly aged. So convincingly that I wouldn't actually bet a lot of money that the one I saw at Malvern wasn't a fake. But if it was it was a hell of a good one and possibly only a collector who had hands-on with several absolutely certain real ones could tell.

I can't recall now whether it had the outline or solid star, but it was there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast