Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SSh40 traffic controller helmet

Article about: Postwar Ssh40 overpainted for a traffic controller soldier. Can't read the ink stamp but looks like a ZKO from the late 40's early 50's?!

Default SSh40 traffic controller helmet

Postwar Ssh40 overpainted for a traffic controller soldier. Can't read the ink stamp but looks like a ZKO from the late 40's early 50's?!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSh40 traffic controller helmet
    P
    Many

Dom
    ?

Quote by easternwarfront View Post
    Can't read the ink stamp but looks like a ZKO from the late 40's early 50's?!
    Yes, however ZKO uses this marking between 1952 and 1954.

Hi!
    Thank you, so early 50's.:-)
    Cheers

Nice soviet postwar lid,these controller helmets seem to be fetching more money than the standard type,well done on your latest purchase........

Hello,

They can even be found on SSh39 model. Long lasting ones

Bruno

Yep it's pre 54 due to the riveted chinstrap!...

Hello Gunny,

Definitively, SSH39 stopped their production in 41 but obviously they kept them for long

All the best

Bruno

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Nice soviet postwar lid,these controller helmets seem to be fetching more money than the standard type,well done on your latest purchase........
    I have always found these a bit more "interesting" from the collectors perspective as they represent something a little different from the basic Motor Rifle Regiment type of thing.

Previously mostly only "those in the know" usually military personnel (ie blokes like me at the time) actually knew what these were and most of them were not interested in collecting. To be fair, mine was really acquired as a training aid for "know your enemy" type stuff. To the unitiated these do look kind of made up or fantasy items but this is likely because general perception tends to dismiss a red and white painted combat helmet especially when these are always hand painted on top of unprepared green coats underneath.
    I feel that since the end of the Cold War and more information being openly accessible interest is growing and now collectors are realising that these are genuine "field pieces" and the reasons for them all being slightly different.

Mine has been overpainted inside and out yet definately is genuine (I got it from the "field") and it has a real look of long use. Because of the repeated overpainting there is no trace of ink stamps on the inside though there is what seems to be a hand stamped 5 digit number (14363) at the nape. It also has numerous paper labels glued to the inside which I imagine once bore the name of the comtemporary owner.

I have shown it here before I think but here it is again for comparison to those above;

SSh40 traffic controller helmetSSh40 traffic controller helmetSSh40 traffic controller helmetSSh40 traffic controller helmetSSh40 traffic controller helmetSSh40 traffic controller helmetSSh40 traffic controller helmet

Although the rivetted chinstrap does indicate early '50s they were attached by hand and could therefore be changed out. This helmet was in use in the '80s.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-16-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote by bourguignotte View Post
    Hello Gunny,

Definitively, SSH39 stopped their production in 41 but obviously they kept them for long

All the best

Bruno
    I was talking about the Ssh40 in the original post my friend!...

Ok. Understood, it is better not to mix.

Back to K unit...

To be more precise, riveted chinstrap means before 54 (date of change)

White K Unit (Komandirovka) got their helmet peinted in white after 1969. Before they were in green

All the best

Bruno