Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tankist/VDV Helmet?

Article about: I posted this hat question on my earlier gimnasterka and telogreika question thread I had posted but after the post was several days old and probably a lot of viewers didn't know I added it

Quote by RayG View Post
    Also the ear flaps are reversed , back to front,
    Not sure I follow this quoted above. The helmet you link to is properly configured. Even the prewar leather style helmets have the capacity to add communication equipment as I've described. As such, they all have holes. I doubt it lacks these details because is an "early example". There is just too much with this one that is unorthodox for me to feel very good about it. I do wonder if it is some sort of costume or prop piece. Strange indeed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tankist/VDV Helmet?
    P
    Many

?

Check out the one on the link I gave. The ear flaps on that one fasten to the front where as the one I have fastens to the rear. You're probably right that it's a prop or costume piece but what ever it is, they did a good job in copying the stitching and cut of the components so accurate between mine and the linked one as they are basically the same. Ray

Quote by RayG View Post
    Check out the one on the link I gave. The ear flaps on that one fasten to the front where as the one I have fastens to the rear. You're probably right that it's a prop or costume piece but what ever it is, they did a good job in copying the stitching and cut of the components so accurate between mine and the linked one as they are basically the same. Ray
    Ray, the helmet in your link has ear flaps that are hinged at the front and fasten to the back. This is the standard arrangement

?

Mike sorry about that, I looked again and mine are also hinged at the front like the one in the link. Here's a comparison between mine and a different WWII one I found. As you see the flaps are hinged the same. Also from what you can see of the two, they are basically sewn the same. That's what I meant before, Ray

Tankist/VDV Helmet?

Attachment 658736

Attachment 658738Tankist/VDV Helmet?

Attachment 658740
    Last edited by RayG; 03-11-2014 at 11:31 AM.

It's certainly an unusual one, Ray.
    I guess there's always the possibility that it was a mock-up for some film or doco sometime back in the past.
    But getting back to your Stalingrad theory, would it possibly be one of a batch knocked up in some other plant closer to the front, for the purpose of filling an immediate shortage. It doesn't look like the standard of quality that would have come out of the Rostokino plant in Moscow. Assuming it's Russian, that is.
    As you said previously, it's just a guess without some other documented evidence.

Cheers, Willie.

?

Thanks Willie, it does look like it could be a hurry up one having the liner and holes for the mike eliminated or not needed at the time. Also the pressed cardboard buckles, (two different styles), is a mystery. They don't look hand made but manufactured like done with a punch press. That means a die, probably could use the same buckle die used for the metal buckles. Lack of metal material? As mentioned, it follows the same stitching pattern almost exactly as the WWII ones pictured. I don't know but would a movie industries copy be that exact? Strange one in deed, Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 03-11-2014 at 12:57 PM.

?

A couple more war time ones I found.

Tankist/VDV Helmet?Tankist/VDV Helmet?

?

One more little piece of the puzzle is that I just checked and the buckles have been professionally machine sewn on, not just hand sewn, and the machine stitching pattern and the thread, both match the rest of the stitching on the helmet. Don't know if that makes any difference but I think it at least it tells you that the buckles were probably put on when the helmet was made and not just added to an unfinished hat.. Ray

Tankist/VDV Helmet?

I think it always adds value to an item when there's a bit of mystery and forensics involved. In the end, some items may or may not end up being rare, but the journey to finding that out is always informative and entertaining. And that can be of considerable value in itself.

Well that's my bit of tank helmet philosophy for the day.

Cheers, Willie.

?

Quote by willie45 View Post
    I think it always adds value to an item when there's a bit of mystery and forensics involved. In the end, some items may or may not end up being rare, but the journey to finding that out is always informative and entertaining. And that can be of considerable value in itself.

Well that's my bit of tank helmet philosophy for the day.

Cheers, Willie.
    You're right, it's been a fun journey.
    Please indulge me a bit more with these possibilities. It could be a:

1-Home made by a reinactor? But why use pressed cardboard buckles. Also they appear to be die stamped or from a some kind of form which probably would indicate mass produced. But who would mass produce cardboard buckles when all kinds of metal buckles are available? Maybe if we find a answer to that question we may find an answer to who made the helmet. Also why make it with out the mike holes and liner?

2- A copy made for the movies or by a reproduction company? The above questions also apply.

3. A very early Factory pattern model. Well, just thought of that one.

4. An emergency/expeidient WWII produced one. Pressed cardboard buckles used in emergency because of either material shortage or lack of metal buckle supply on site. Could explain why die stamped pressed cardboard buckles were used. They could easily have been made using the same dies used for the metal ones.

Does anyone have any other possibilities or suggestions? Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 03-13-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast