Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?

Article about: Hi, here are 2 Ushankas. I know condition is poor. They are cheap, and they can be fixed a little bit, and orig. stars I have can be added for display. Of course the question I have for the

Default Question: Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?

Hi, here are 2 Ushankas. I know condition is poor. They are cheap, and they can be fixed a little bit, and orig. stars I have can be added for display.

Of course the question I have for the experts, are they WW2, or post war? They look to me they maybe could be wartime Ushankas.

These are the only photos available, and I do not see any stamps or dates. The first hat looks to have real fur sheeps wool, and not the "fish fur" synthetic on the second hat?

Thanks, Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?   Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?  

Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?   Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?  

Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?  
    Last edited by Kilroy Was Here; 04-19-2010 at 01:20 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?
    P
    Many

Default Re: 2 Old Ushanka Hats-- Wartime? or Post-war?

A few more pics of the first hat..............
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?   Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?  

Default Re: Ushanka Hats Wartime? or Post-war?

Any experts still out there?? are they too poor to comment on?

OK, I'll bite... First hat looks wartime to me, while it looks like natural lambs wool it probably is not. The other hat could be wartime, but is in a style I tend to avoid. That style being the very tall front flap and tight box shape.

That said, both are in terrible condition. The first one looks like German POW wear home. The other looks like it a decent hat that spent too long in the "Mothrowave"

Hi !
    The second one looks typical 70s issue using greatcoat wool for body and the blue grey fish fur outside . Proportions are larger than on most wartime styles ( early 1940 issue is bigger than late war though)
    THe first could possibly be Finnish Army (?) or even a civilian type . Im unsure of course but it doesnt seem typical - less square and squat than normally found . The first piece is interesting and could be wartime IMO .

Heres some pics of an example i have dated 1940 .The body is typically brushed cotton 'baika' material ,and though subtantial ,the dimensions sit less 'box like' when worn than 70 s style.

Last edited by Rob truscott; 04-21-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Nice Ushanka Rob,

I think you are right about the second hat in the original post. I'm surprised that if it is that recent of vintage that it had enough wool content in the material to even attract moths

I do believe that the first one is Soviet. It is just horribly misshapen.

Heres another other ranks ushanka Mid-late war style . The modest dimensions giving a much more compact look are obvious .This was probably to economise . Note the very faded body is still in the 'Baika' brush cotton material. The laces have been discarded and the cap flaps are simply sewn together , for fashion.

Another winner Rob...

Notice on this one how the weave of the base fabric becomes visible once the nap of the brushed cotton wears off. You can see the in Steve's hat as well. The only visible nap on his hat is just peeking out behind the front flap. I have owned a couple over the years that were German POW wear homes that looked a lot like Steves. Not quite so misshapen, but just as rough. I bet that hat spent a lot of time digging ditches along Russian roads in the late 40's

Yes . The first ones had a real beating , perhaps it will look more typical after soaking and stretched over a head for a bit
    Il just add a couple Fur ones i have with hardly any wear. These are normally confined to ofiicers i believe.
    The first posted could be a knackered one of these .(would make a good stalingrad or POW impression ! I cant figure if the body is wool that has just lost its nap ?
    Mine both have wool which is of course better than brush cotton standard other ranks types .

Hello Michael and Rob...Thanks for biting, and getting thread going Your comments are welcomed, and appreciated. Thanks for posting your nice condition Ushankas Rob, they are great looking BTW Rob.....How is the relic M42 German helmet I traded with you, you still have it?

OK, so #1 hat...... POW, dug a lot of ditches, moth ridden, mis-shaped, took a beating, and probably wartime.

#2 hat, probably post war, but very tasty for moths.

OK, I have learned about "other ranks" ushankas, fabrics used, shapes, and fur.

BTW the hats are from Latvia if that makes any difference.

I am going to display the first one on a styro dummy head, with flaps down. Should I wet the hat, or soak it in water first, then let it dry on the dummy head?
    I was going to put a correct star on it also, but my 3 examples are in excellent shape, and will not look right on the hat. I will now have to search for a really beat up star to match.

Both hats are $40 each, but now think I will just get the first one, if you feel the second hat is definitely post war.

Thanks, Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast