Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Ausgeh Buckle Differences

Article about: Hi, I have these two Pebbled Ausgeh buckles in my collection, and, was wondering if it is possible to tell maker by the shape of the head of the eagle? I have compared against Ben Evans's re

Dav
    ?

Default Ausgeh Buckle Differences

Hi,
    I have these two Pebbled Ausgeh buckles in my collection, and, was wondering if it is possible to tell maker by the shape of the head of the eagle? I have compared against Ben Evans's reference post, and I think they might both be Gustav Brehmer, but I am really not sure. The one is aluminium, and has a broken prong (I purchased it for £15, and the details are very worn). The other is much heavier, appears to be zinc, and has a magnetic, presumably steel catch. Neither are marked. The heavier one also appears to have a more indented rear, and the emblem sticks out more.

Furthermore, when exactly would these ausgeh buckles have been produced? And when would they be worn? It also seems odd a soldier would have to buy their own buckle.
    Thanks,

Dav

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ausgeh Buckle Differences
    P
    Many

?

Dav, The average recruit was given a used everything, Hat , pants, tunic etc; Most times if they had money they could afford a new Private purchase tunic, pants, hat and belt / buckle to look sharp.. So, even though these examples are not private purchase one can see immediately the difference of used and new, also, a vast percentage of PP buckles are untabbed and void of maker marks, so all we have to go on sometimes is prongs, prong sleeve/ bar and sometimes the roundel or face plate of the buckle.. G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ausgeh Buckle Differences   Ausgeh Buckle Differences  

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Also, There were a few different configurations of private purchase.. These happen to be all RAD
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ausgeh Buckle Differences   Ausgeh Buckle Differences  

Attached Images Attached Images Ausgeh Buckle Differences  Ausgeh Buckle Differences  Ausgeh Buckle Differences  Ausgeh Buckle Differences  Ausgeh Buckle Differences 

Dav
    ?

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Also, There were a few different configurations of private purchase.. These happen to be all RAD
    Thank you for the information, does this mean they would have been used in combat, or simply for use with parade uniform for when they're away from the front lines?

?

It is my opinion that the private purchase buckle would not be able to withstand the rigorous day to day activities of most branches of service, however, there is always the exception to the rule !

Dav
    ?

Quote by Gwar View Post
    It is my opinion that the private purchase buckle would not be able to withstand the rigorous day to day activities of most branches of service, however, there is always the exception to the rule !
    Would the Zinc and Steel buckle have been produced later during the war, or were these private purchase buckles only produced during certain years? Thanks for all your help by the way

?

Yes they would have been produced late war..