Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes

Article about: Hi all, I have been inspired to do this thread after a recently helping out a member. It is my plan to post pictures of differing buckles from early to late to help the novice/beginner buckl

Default Re: Buckle and Belt characteristics

Also for interest I will include this very rare nickel right facing Tunnerbund conversion, the original maker of the buckle was Hugo Schneider Aktiengesellschaft Mettalwarrenfabrik Leipzig, very rare maker whether or not they did the conversion we shall never know.
    Attached Images Attached Images Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes 
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes
    P
    Many

This is an example of an aluminium buckle by a maker called V Hofe, quite a rare maker, you do not see many knocking around by this maker. Aluminium buckles were made mainly from 1936 to 1940, however you do not see many 1940 examples around as by then they were using steel which was alot harder metal and tended to last longer than the soft aluminium ones. I have also seen a couple of 1935 examples around but again these are like hens teeth.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes   Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  

Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes   Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  

Last edited by Ben Evans; 01-15-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    Ben

Here is another example of a aluminium buckle. It is in very good condition with most of its original green paint intact. Dated 1936 it was made by the firm Richard Seiper & Sohne, note on this early example it has both the early and late Seiper markings on it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes   Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  

Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes   Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  

Last edited by Ben Evans; 01-15-2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Ben

Just want to keep with Seiper for the moment, he was a very prolific maker and you will find alot of Heer buckles around by this maker. Have a look at the eagles head on the steel buckles, they are very distinct and unique to this maker, in time with one glance you will recognise this maker straight away.

Ben

This guys is what I think is the most common of the SS buckles, it is a unmarked late war Overhoff, once you know what to look for and get used to them they is quite easy to spot original from fake, some of the biggest giveaways on the fakes are triangle breast feathers, lack of detail to the rope and wreath both on the front and rear of the buckle, the catch and feet are quite different also. On the front another big givaway is that there is no rope between the wing and head of the eagle. compare the original to the fake one in the example I have provided, there are better versions of this fake out there but with experience you will tell good from bad. After looking at these go on dealers sites and look at the late war Overhoff buckles, you will be amazed how quickly you start spotting originals from fakes.

Ben

Hi all, I am going to compare the make up of the 155/40 fake that apple has just posted with the originals. If you look at the fake itself it is based on a copy of the basic unmarked late war Overhoff, however if you study the buckle there are lots of flaws:

Front - triangle breast feathers, biggest givaway straight away
    Rear - wrong markings
    outward facing prongs
    ears are wrong
    lack of detail to rear of box
    new rust
    no rope between head & left wing

Compare the fake to the original that I have posted with it. When you have studied this move onto the next one where I have transposed the markings and eagle breast feathers of all three buckles for comparison.

Attached Images Attached Images Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes 
    Ben

Now compare all three together, the fake and an original 155/40 and unmarked Overhoff. If you really want to learn now go and look on websites, if need be print off these originals and fakes and try and spot which is which on the sites, trust me you will soon pick it up

Attached Images Attached Images Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes  Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes 
    Ben

?

Default Re: Buckle and Belt characteristics, originals & fakes

Great work Ben , keep them coming

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Default 1st Pattern/Type 1 Belt

Hi all, here for reference is a 1st pattern or Type 1 Enlisted mans belt. On the next couple of threads I will show stage by stage how to attach a buckle with and without tab.

Ben

Default Attaching buckle with tab

How to attach buckle with tab

Ben

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast