Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

composition belt

Article about: this pattern of belt has always been a curiosity to myself. raison d'etre ?

Default composition belt

this pattern of belt has always been a curiosity to myself. raison d'etre ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture composition belt   composition belt  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement composition belt
    P
    Many

Default Re: composition belt

Looks like a Hitler Youth belt. The did have some pressed paper belts that were available for purchase (less expensive than leather). Could be the explanation here. Is this a possibility. Is it very light?
    Cheers!
    Rob

It is not light. If you can imagine a " tropical " belt that has been impregnated with a rubberised amalgam. When I first saw it I thought Ersatz, but I would imagine the early date would preclude that. My other thought would be civil, fireman that sort of thing. Thanks

I really like this belt and it is much rarer than the prestoff variety.

For further info see bayonet frog @ The Collector's Guild

Did you purchase this recently or have you had it for some time?

thank you for the link to the Collector's Guild. you learn something new every day. obviously more than one manufacturer was involved with this type of construction. I have not purchased any form of WW2 German stuff for many, many years. it turned up at a fleamarket 30 odd years ago. going by my wages at the time it wouldn't have been dear !

?

I believe that this type of belt was made for submarine crews.
    Leather belts were not suitable for damp conditions on a sub.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I believe that this type of belt was made for submarine crews.
    Leather belts were not suitable for damp conditions on a sub.
    I like the theory Steve, but I do not think it is correct, on the basis that they made bayonet frogs and entrenching tool covers from the same material.
    Personally, I believe that these were produced on a trial basis to see if they would be better than their existing belts and therefore reduce the reliance on leather.
    As with all things, it is possible that these belts ended up with U boat crews for the reason that you suggest, but I don't think it was intentional.

old Gerry was resourceful and innovative. someone would have dreamed up an alternative method of manufacture to improve ? reduce costs , ease construction, etc. the belt clip was far simpler than the stamped aluminium version, didn't require stitching. impregnated wood water bottles , phenol resin weapon furniture , two examples of alternative forms of manufacture. I don't subscribe to the U-boat theory but that is only my opinion. bit like being offered a Ritterkreuz many moons ago that possessed a non-ferrous core with the story that it was Kriegsmarine issue on the basis it wouldn't rust as a result of salt corrosion at sea. big faux-pas , didn't buy it. things would be a lot easier if documentary evidence existed. carry on speculating ! roo, roo.