Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Controversial buckles

Article about: Just thought to bump up a great month of very nice buckles.. My question is this.. ?? Are there many questionable WW 2 buckles that defy explanation as to maker or process of manufacturing ?

Quote by Wewelsburg View Post
    Is it known if the NSBO buckle with the factory design is from a real factory or just from someones fantasy?
    When this buckle was cobbled together is really any persons guess. N.S.B.O. buckles were of course "non regulated" and if period (emphasis on if), then perhaps quite simply, a "do-it-yourself" project. The effect is striking to my eye, however I think that the particular Tagungsabzeichen has been chosen for effect rather than having any significance to the event. There are quite a few fantasy buckles in circulation now which employ a Tagungsabzeichen as the obverse emblem and I will post some images when time permits.

Regards and best wishes,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Controversial buckles
    P
    Many

Quote by kirby View Post
    Gau Essen has always been controversial. Who was it intended for? Is it SS related?
    Controversial it may be, however still a super looking buckle! The SS connection is in my opinion without any foundation and I suppose that the spurious association is perfectly natural and expected due to features integral to the design. Not forgetting also that pinning an SS association to something immediately increases the perceived desirability and price.

On more than one occasion it has been suggested (I have no research or proof before any forum member starts foaming at the mouth) that the buckle was intended for wear by the short lived Hilfspolizei within Gau Essen. The latter was an old Gau and the Hilfspolizei who were made up of SA, SS and I think Stahlhelmbund members, were only active within a short period at the start of 1933.

The buckle will however and to most, be conveniently and forever more be labelled as SS Gau Essen.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Quote by kirby View Post
    Gold HJ buckles. Are they HJ Marine related? I understand there is no regulation for a gold HJ.
    As controversial as controversial can be!

Whilst I have and over more years than I can remember seen and personally handled some very convincing looking "gold" HJ buckles, my opinion is still that they are all and without exception post 1945 enhancements to a base buckle. Originally designated by some as Marine related and where the designation switched occasionally to "special", "unknown" or whatever. This is when we view the buckle within the genre of HJ and without stating the blindingly obvious, belonging to a massive N.S.D.A.P. organisation. Not one shred of evidence so far and to my knowledge by period documentation, regulations, manufacturers catalogues, photographs or the like to even faintly suggest the existence of this buckle.

Always happy to be proven wrong and I will still keep an open mind about the gold HJ. For the moment however, my opinion is that it is a fantasy finish.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Quote by David North View Post
    The buckle will however and to most, be conveniently and forever more be labelled as SS Gau Essen. Regards and best wishes, David
    This Gau Essen buckle surely will not have to do wih SS at all.
    The expression Gau was not used within the SS and surely not during the period this buckle was made.
    Lack of knowledge about TR systems and regulations may have caused the buckle named as such, maybe
    due to its form for the eagle used. But it started anyway in the later 1950's/earliest 1960's!

I think it would be wise to find out first in what organization something like "Essen" existed (anyway not
    within the RAD; maybe for the political organization as there a Gau Essen existed). If it would be the last
    then they would have run into problems with the existing Gau with larger names (as for example "Gau
    Halle-Merseburg"). I think this buckle just was an experiment and never actually agreed and granted,
    rejected due to the name(s)!

Further I agree completely with David when he says:
    "Not one shred of evidence so far and to my knowledge by period documentation, regulations, manufacturers
    catalogues, photographs or the like to even faintly suggest the existence of this buckle
    ". It is about the
    "golden" rectangular HJ-buckle. It is my opinion this buckle is fantasy in some ways and produced by someone
    who did not know about what and how within the HJ.
    Come with stated evidence and there will be a certain % of believe!
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 02-13-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Quote by Gwar View Post
    That is probably the best example of a "Unknown" yet... IMO
    You think so Gwar? Then how about this?

Manufactured by Assmann without a swastika. Definitely not denazified.

Regards and best wishes,

David

You can see such buckle without a swastika, but for leaders and made by Assmann,
    in my article "Reichsarbeitsdienst Belts and Brocade Belts" the "Military Advisor"-
    magazin vol.16, number 1 winter 2004/2005. Page 9 with a front and reverse photograph.

Controversial buckles

I saw this buckle actually for the first time in the later 1970's an was able to get a photograph
    in the mid-1980's. Maybe it was planned to introduce a buckle like this, but finally rejected as
    a new design with swastika was introduced.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 02-13-2016 at 12:38 PM.

?

Here is another buckle that is in my buddy Gary's collection. This is some sort of German teachers organization and could have been period or post war. Whenever, it was well done. Thanks for the input on the Gau Essen and the Gold HJ.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Controversial buckles   Controversial buckles  

Attached Images Attached Images Controversial buckles 

Quote by kirby View Post
    Here is another buckle that is in my buddy Gary's collection. This is some sort of German teachers organization and could have been period or post war
    I must admit Kirby that I am not madly keen on any buckle that has an events badge "bolted on" as the emblem, especially when the Tagungsabzeichen is dated. There may have been a period personal vanity or memento motive, although it just does not make sense to me at least. There are now quite a few of these fantasy buckles in circulation and in collections I am sorry to say.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Another

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast