Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Dealer selling fakes

Article about: Hello, Do members care when a dealer sells fakes even after being told repeatedly it was a fake with proof and he sold it anyway ? Especially if they are a co sponsor of this Forum ? Thought

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dealer selling fakes
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I would answer the question with a resounding yes I do care very much as such behaviour is a direct assault on the very heart of the pastime/hobby (for want of a better word) of any field of collecting;

Authenticity is a mainstay and without confidence in that we may as well just give up.

However, I think it is critical that one does not judge or "pick up stones" without knowing the facts.

I do not doubt for a moment what has been said so far and the picture evidence is pretty damning but without knowledge of the full facts one would be furthering an impression that could indeed be spurious itself. As I say I don't doubt the about account but that is a position based on my opinion rather than on evidence which is dangerous to both sides.

No dealer is perfect and the same is true of us all as collectors. That said, it is the way that a mistake is rectified or dealt with that is the true measure.

A reputation can be damaged justly or unjustly with equal effect. The difference is whether it is right.

The issue has been raised now in open forum so I feel it must be resolved in open forum or there will be a question over many dealers who have no connection to it.

Of course one can always argue that a buyer should know what he is buying but so should a dealer know what he is selling yet how many of us have not been caught out at some point even with years of experience?

Obviously, I am playing "The Devil's Advocate" here and personally I would see a crooked dealer "cast into the wilderness" with great satisfaction but let it be done before an open court and a jury of his peers.

I couldn't care less whether he is a sponsor of this forum. If he is bent then let it be known so we can clean house. If it is an error (I agree it doesn't look like it is an error) then let that be shown so that we all can see.

So let's hear the case for the defence shall we? If he chooses not to be heard then Q.E.D. perhaps?

Regards

Mark
    Watchdog, After my initial contact for was sent I waited a week, I sent a email with even more details and waited another few days and then sent another contact form with my issues to him and one of the organizations he is a member of as well, nothing. Then I checked and presto.. it has been sold...
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

As I say, I don't doubt for a moment that what you say is accurate and the picture evidence is pretty clear. I would just like to hear the full facts which must include his version especially to explain the pictures which I guess are his?

However, I think I can sense the way this is going

I don't think that curling up into a ball like a hedgehog is going to do him much good

Regards

Mark
    PS I don't suppose the buyer is reading any of this and would care to contribute? We might be about to help him here.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Watchdog, After my initial contact for was sent I waited a week, I sent a email with even more details and waited another few days and then sent another contact form with my issues to him and one of the organizations he is a member of as well, nothing. Then I checked and presto.. it has been sold...
    To me that is just prove enough that the dealer knew what he was selling!

Interesting post, I feel no person who is in this hobby of collecting WWII artifacts likes the feeling that he has bought a fake/repro. What really gets me going is when a vendor with the "status of the pope" regularly offers bogus medals/badges. I understand that anyone can make a mistake but when doing this gig for 30+ years you should have seen a lot and know a lot. If you don't really know/research a particular badge don't sell it on your web site. You are just ruining your name, and losing potential future sales.

In my short time in this medal hobby, what many members here have resonated to me is knowledge and research will keep you away from the bad stuff. Rule #1 Don't buy an item if you know nothing really about it.

I saw a repro APB at a show a few weeks ago. I have done quite a bit of research on these. Well the vendor told me it was post war and was asking $500. I just laughed, was thinking $45, but did not want to insult him. I usually stay away from his table. He is at this show all the time, guess he catches the newbie collectors enough to pay his table fee.

Enough with my ranting, I still looking forward to the next show.

John

My issue w/ this dealer is the lack of communication. I like dealers like Bill & Pat Shea who make it a point to respond in a timely manner with a meaningful response. I'm not a Bill Shea fanboy or anything but any time i've wanted to return something for any reason or when I've spotted a bad item on his site he always gets right back to me and handles the situation. He had a medal bar that had an incorrect ribbon. I informed Bill's son Patrick & he took care of it within an hour and thanked me for spotting the issue. That's the kind of communication & professionalism I like to see. John from Original German Militaria has also been great to deal will.

I don't expect perfection but I do expect a dealer to at least respond rather than ignore customers. The first email not returned can be chalked up to an array of circumstances but two emails not returned is on purpose especially now that we know he avoided to replying to multiple people.
    Last edited by captain20052019; 11-03-2019 at 08:42 PM.

An interesting statement on that website

"We offer a 3 day return policy – for any reason except size , with lifetime guarantee for authenticity"

Quote by oberhaig View Post
    An interesting statement on that website

"We offer a 3 day return policy – for any reason except size , with lifetime guarantee for authenticity"
    I've said it often on here... a lifetime guarantee should NOT be taken as proof of authenticity. It just means that when you find out that your purchase is fake, you stand a better chance of getting your money back!

I have purchased items from Mr Griffin in the past. Couple of US items and one Polish, both genuine.
    But I emailed Him about details on how He got one these I never got a reply.
    So perhaps a communication issue ? because the item I was asking about is genuine.

Quote by captain20052019 View Post
    I don't expect perfection but I do expect a dealer to at least respond rather than ignore customers. The first email not returned can be chalked up to an array of circumstances but two emails not returned is on purpose especially now that we know he avoided to replying to multiple people.
    100% agree, especially when the messages hes "possibly" ignoring are pointing out toxic items in his inventory. I have also bought items from Griffin in the past with no issues. Hopefully this thread will light a fire under him to make some changes.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast