Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Early supporters full face swastika buckles

Article about: Here are a brace of the early "full face" and "upright" swastika buckles, which of course are now well documented. They have been attributed to both the Freikorp and the

Default Re: Early supporters full face swastika buckles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early supporters full face swastika buckles
    P
    Many

Quote by David North View Post
    David, with this buckle with the 1/33 do you think that this was like you stated an imperial Heer buckle which has had the Swaz soldered on then cleaned up, that would mean that the 1/33 could be a unit mark of some sorts?
    Ben

Could be SA Sturm 1/33 or could have been made for the January 1933 election?

Have these been seen with other markings?

Dear Ben and Bochmann

To be perfectly honest, I think that these full face swastika buckles (the originals at least), were bespoke made rather than being "converted or cannibalised" examples from say former Imperial buckles and as such, made to a specific order.

As to the various stampings, again, I may with others only guess. I think however that the stampings are an indication of NSDAP related "...the property of..." rather than inherited marks from the former use of the buckle.

Regards,

David

?

Hello Ben

On a purely personal note, I am jolly pleased that this thread has been revived as this buckle is and in my opinion phenomenally important as almost, the starting point for all of us interested in NSDAP and Third Reich.

I have attached some new images.

The Catella publication makes reference to the buckle being the first SS, although also, that there is an association with the former members of Freikorp Rossbach and Brigade Ehrhardt. Unfortunately, no suggested time frame.

The Bandau publication however makes reference to SA/SS from 1925 to around 1930 and I think that the date of 1930 is very important. In addition, Bandau suggests that the buckle was produced by Deumer (I assume as at least one producer) and of course, this correlates with the stampings on the buckle that I have shown.

To be quite honest, I think that the buckle is an attempt at a serious NSDAP buckle, rather than just being supporter related and as such, not exclusively for the use of the embryonic SS.

I have seen only a few original examples of this buckle and one, also displays an enigmatic set of stampings to an outer wing. Quite impossible to encipher what they mean and this is most infuriating. It is perhaps reasonable however to suppose that the buckle may have been issued rather than owned (as per some Imperial) and as such, mine shown is buckle number 33 from a group or unit which has the designation of "1". Goodness knows who 1 was !

To be honest Ben, I think that there is no association whatsoever with the buckle being standard bearer associated, although - I wish !

Regards,

David
    I'm aware this thread is over a decade old but-- when new information arises regarding a certain topic it's good to add it on.
    Here's an SA man in July 1931 in a set of images I might be purchasing soon wearing this buckle.

Early supporters full face swastika buckles

?

a killer photo, please post the others when they arrive.

Indeed, a thread that is now well over a decade old, however any additional and potentially revitalising information is more than welcome in my view.

To date, I am not aware of any recently successful research which has shed more light on this buckle. There are however now available and on line, numerous period images showing this buckle in wear and it is of course good to see another one here.

Why has this period image been attributed to July 1931 I wonder? For this month and year, I would normally expect to see an SA-Mann wearing a completely different uniform, to include his belt buckle.

Simply thinking out aloud and again, great to see another period image of this enigmatic buckle in wear.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Indeed, a thread that is now well over a decade old, however any additional and potentially revitalising information is more than welcome in my view.

To date, I am not aware of any recently successful research which has shed more light on this buckle. There are however now available and on line, numerous period images showing this buckle in wear and it is of course good to see another one here.

Why has this period image been attributed to July 1931 I wonder? For this month and year, I would normally expect to see an SA-Mann wearing a completely different uniform, to include his belt buckle.

Simply thinking out aloud and again, great to see another period image of this enigmatic buckle in wear.

Regards and best wishes,

David
    As far as I know regulations were only getting quite stringent in that exact year, no? Wasn't 1931 the year it became a must for all SA men to wear an eagle on their cap?
    Regarding this SA man's boots; I've always been told that up until the rising popularity of the jackboot in the mid-late 1930s SA regulars would simply just wear work boots, puttees, calf protectors.
    Efforts into increasing the consistency in SA uniforms would really increase in 1933; after the NSDAP came to power.

This SA man in particular is standing in front of the brown house of the NSDAP. On the back the date is attributed to July of 31.

Regards,

Hopefully a Forum member who is knowledgeable with regards to the chronological development of the SA uniform will chip in here.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Hello, David.

Wilhelm Saris is very knowledgable in this field but sifting through old posts I come to find that he's no longer present on this forum--

I'm going to ask him about the uniforming and regulations during this exact time period because he's always been able to send me a response with evidence from his numerous archives to back it up.

Regards,

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast