Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Forging Belt Buckles: Why do forgers not copy the details exactly?

Article about: I'm really puzzled! If I wanted to forge a belt buckle I would take an imprint of a genuine, certified original, make an exact mold and reproduce everything exactly as I see it on the origin

?

Default Forging Belt Buckles: Why do forgers not copy the details exactly?

I'm really puzzled! If I wanted to forge a belt buckle I would take an imprint of a genuine, certified original, make an exact mold and reproduce everything exactly as I see it on the original, onto the fake... for example, a proper eagle with an eagle's head, I would get the feathers to look like the originals, the beak, copy the maker's stamp, etc. etc. What I don't understand is... when I look at the pictures of forgeries with their diamond shaped feathers, pigeon heads, badly produced rope, invented makers' names, things missing, things added... etc etc. why would a forger be so careless... and so stupid, they must be aware that these obvious mistakes will be spotted? On the other hand, it's also a worry that buckles that have been passed as 100% genuine by experienced collectors, have been judged genuine only because everything looks correct. This means that if a forger does actually decide to reproduce everything exactly as he (or she) sees it on the original, there would be absolutely no way of telling the difference... am I correct with this assumption? Maybe... and this is a scary thought ... some bad fakes have been spread about purposely to make the more exact copies look genuine... a sort of "double-bluff"? Apart from carrying out some lab' tests on metals used, paint, rust, or dirt aging, etc. it would seem to me as a complete novice and new collector, that one can never, ever, be really, really, really 100% certain... I would love to hear what others have to say about this, as it just doesn't make any sense to go to all the trouble of forging something that doesn't look like the real thing! Thanks for reading this and if you have any views, answers, advice, etc. please, please let me know... Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Forging Belt Buckles: Why do forgers not copy the details exactly?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Forging Belt Buckles: Why do forgers not copy the details exactly?

The overwhelmingly vast majority of forgers aren't smart enough to make exact replecas.
    Mold makeing is an exact art. There are other reasons that copies cannot be exact castings that I will not explain. Steel molds for stamping are hand made. There will always be imperfections that can be compared to originals so the life of a mold is limited at best. You will only get one run and then the collectors world finds out. If the copy is exact then the collecting world will pretty much stop buying that type of buckle. So crooks are not going to make big bucks.
    That and the old Native American bad fortune spell I put on fakers where their male organ shrinks up to the size of a SHORT stack of small buttons so that every time they pee it is just a dribble down their oversized painfully swollen scrotum and taking a crap is an exercize in pain as the excrement passes through a large group of painful bleeding hemorhoids.
    Hope this helps sir.
    Steve

?

Thanks Steve... that's good to hear. I thought that mold-making may have progressed since my school metalwork classes, glad to hear that things haven't changed over the years. That... and your spell (ouch... brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it!) should hopefully keep us safe from investing in forgeries. I have to, in any case, study those threads on forgeries a lot closer... cheers mate for your help!
    All the best... Hansi

?

Quote by Hansi View Post
    Thanks Steve... that's good to hear. I thought that mold-making may have progressed since my school metalwork classes, glad to hear that things haven't changed over the years. That... and your spell (ouch... brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it!) should hopefully keep us safe from investing in forgeries. I have to, in any case, study those threads on forgeries a lot closer... cheers mate for your help!
    All the best... Hansi
    You are a good lad Hansi.

Gents....there much discussion regarding the question posed over the decades....one such theory, is that some these fakers are dealing in original items , and that deliberatly make a mistake on what ever fake/replica they make, so that sometime in the future, they will not fall prey to thier own creations ! ......

?

Thanks Oradour... that's an interesting theory, and wouldn't it be fitting and hilarious if a forger did actually and unknowingly invest in one of his/her own fakes... or indeed, in another forger's creation!
    Regards... Hansi

They are avoiding copyright infringement

SteveR, remind me to never get on your bad side. Ouch!

Hansi, the bad news is they do cast SS fakes from original and to be honest they are hard to spot, the best way is to measure them, then there is the colour which tends to be greyer and other cast marks on certain areas, bad news my friend
    Ben

?

Bad news indeed... I can see that I have a lot of reading and studying to do! It's still great though that novices like myself can post in photos and have all the experts give their combined opinions... that's definitely a great service and one that I would be reluctant to stop using... even supposing that one day I would be experienced enough to give a verdict myself! Cheers... Hansi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast