Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??

Article about: I've just added this Wehrwolf belt and buckle to the collection. The belt is the non-combatant/private purchase type with riveted clasp and the buckle appears to have been made or converted

Default Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??

I've just added this Wehrwolf belt and buckle to the collection.

The belt is the non-combatant/private purchase type with riveted clasp and the buckle appears to have been made or converted for left-handed use.

Can anyone hazard a guess what the eight punched holes in the buckle plate are for ??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??   Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??  

Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??   Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??  

Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??   Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??
    P
    Many

Just a guess Robin but did it hold another emblem of sorts? Miners buckle ect. That was removed so they could use the box to convert to a Werewolf buckle
    Ben

Hello,
    Not my area of collecting but i find quite strange that the central enblem has been added on an upside down buckle....
    first time i see that
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

That's what I thought too, Ben, but I'm struggling to think of a buckle with another emblem that would match the eight holes ....... ??

It was suggested that the 'upside down' bit was a personal conversion for use by a left-handed man. Clips the buckle on from left to right, rather than the usual right to left. I've only ever seen this once before. There were so many unofficial uniform items with this group.

Here's the only other 'upside downer' or 'left-hander' I've seen ................. interestingly, it's from the same sort of time period.
    Attached Images Attached Images Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??  Holes in a buckle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ?? 

Thanks for the additional photos Robin.
    It's a premiere for me....never seen that before
    still learning everyday...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

No idea why the holes are there but they are the main reason I didn't buy the buckle. It was priced right for the condition.

Dear Robin,

Long time - no speak.

A very interesting Wehrwolf buckle!

As to the 8 tiny drilled holes which in two groups of 4 support the roundel, this is something that I have never seen before. The holes seem to be carefully formed and precise in placement, suggesting and without stating the blindingly obvious, that they perhaps originally had a specific purpose. Worth remembering that these cannibalised Imperial or Weimar buckle boxes were converted to display all manner of emblems and roundels in the 1920’s and early 1930’s. This to embrace a wide spectrum of organisations to include those affiliated to the NSDAP, the Communists and the Church, to name but three. They were also worn with a non political, quasi political/military or decorative emblem attached by the man in the street to quite simply, keep his kegs up. I think that the holes were initially formed to accept an unknown device, towards which we will probably never be privy to, however the prepared brass box was then given a new lease of life.

The “upside down” roundel is not at all problematical in my opinion as I have literally handled dozens of “cottage industry” manufactured SA buckles, thus so. Whether this was a mistake or a bespoke assembly for a left handed person, I really do not know. As to the reverse soldering which appears to have been undertaken by a drunken monkey wearing boxing gloves, I have seen messier so called “craftsmanship”.

The most intriguing feature of this buckle is the staggering amount of wear to the roundel. Never before have I seen this extreme wear to this particular roundel design and which from memory, has two known (possibly more?) slight variations. The incredible wear is a nuisance as I would have liked to look at the rope design which encircles the roundel. I cannot help but noticing though that for the buckle which forms the subject of this thread, the rope twists are somewhat disproportionate and non simpatico at 9 o’clock and at 3 o’clock, when squinting at the buckle on screen.

As said, a very interesting Wehrwolf buckle and dare I ask with a convenient prompt from the previous post and furthermore, without wishing to appear “infra dig”, where did this buckle come from? I have the impression rightly or wrongly that the buckle was obtained from a dealer or an auction house.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

The buckle was listed on eStand for 800 euros. I was at my friend Garry’s table at the SOS when I got the eStand notification.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast