Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unknown Buckles

Article about: Hi! I've been trying to ID these two buckles for several years. I picked them up 25 years ago at a Frankfurt A.M. flea market (only paid 10 DM each). All attempts to ID them have been unsucc

Default Re: Unknown Buckles

Very nice pick up Mess Truck, Unusual but a good story behind them.

Ty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown Buckles
    P
    Many

Ben,

Here are some better pictures of teh M4/24 mark.

My eyes are getting old! I just noticed the RZM mark on the left hand side!

Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Buckles   Unknown Buckles  

Attached Images Attached Images Unknown Buckles 

Glenn, many thanks for the pics, maker mark for Friedrich Linden, Ludenscheid, I have these pictures from a friend of mine, this is a HJ marked buckle from this maker, like I said, unusual to find buckles like yours marked this way
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Buckles   Unknown Buckles  

Ben

OKW
    ?

Is it my eyes or is their a lip/gap on the photo on post 12, has the HJ symbol been cut out and then this swirl been separately applied or let in. It looks like some of the HJ wreath around the edge is still there when seen from the back.

These buckles were stamped out of blanks I believe
    Ben

The M4/24 buckle has indeed had the (assumed) HJ center cut out and the new face spot welded on. When you hold it up to the light you can see between the buckle and the new face.

The other buckle is stamped from one piece with no indication of a prior life as another buckle.

By the way, I've been looking at the site and the wealth of knowledge on buckles has me astounded! Ben's posts have been more enlightening than any of the books I bought on the subject, albeit they were purchased in the 80's.

Is there a really good reference book on buckles that anyone would recomment? I have German Military Waistbelts by Terence Baldwin (1984), German Belt Buckles by Thomas Reid (1989 and I have his earlier paperback version) and Belt Buckles & Brocades of teh Third Riech by LTC (Ret.) John R. Angolia.

Glenn

Unknown Buckles   Unknown Buckles  

Good pics Glenn, a picture paints a thousand words looks like a steel HJ that has been modified. Ref the books, I think you cannot go wrong with the 2nd edition Angolia and the Peter Nash book, they have been my bibles when I first started collecting and even now
    Ben

Most likely the other buckle is an Overhoff.

Jean,

Do you have any thoughts about who would have used them? A private club, private security force at a manufacturing plant, civic organization?

Thanks,

Glenn

Quote by Mess Truck View Post
    Jean,

Do you have any thoughts about who would have used them? A private club, private security force at a manufacturing plant, civic organization?

Thanks,

Glenn
    Common conscensus says for everyday use by everybody during the shortage of goods which followed the end of WWII. And I do believe this since Germans were trained to do not waste anything which could be of use. Other european populations did also use/recycle whatever could be after the war, no metter which nation left it there ...
    Here is another Overhoff (former SS buckle) more "fancy" since only the swastika and SS motto was cut off.

Unknown Buckles  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2