MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

what is this ?

Article about: Hi, am new to this and have probably posted in the wrong section. If I have then sorry and maybe this can be moved? I would like someone if possible to ID this odd medal thing. First it look

Jon Boy
    ?

Default what is this ?

Hi, am new to this and have probably posted in the wrong section. If I have then sorry and maybe this can be moved?
    I would like someone if possible to ID this odd medal thing. First it looks to be made of silver, it has a small date on the front above the strange pattern that looks like 1915 or 1918. Around the edge it has Gott Mut Uns and some German crosses, like the Iron Cross medals. On the front under the pin fitting it has what looks like 13 V-R and under this the date. On the front bottom and faint is the word or name Mut.
    Any idea what it is?
    what is this ?what is this ?what is this ?

2. # ADS

?

Most likely 'Gott Mitt Uns.'

Looks odd - maybe supposed to be part of a coin or commemorative medal/badge in a previous incarnation.

?

Nothing military.

Jon Boy
    ?

Could it be a old medal that has been changed maybe as a sort of bit of trench art? If it is it was well done. Also strange as it seems to be solid silver to my eye.

That's weird, I've never seen a medal with GOTT MIT UNS around the edge though.... That's what I love about this hobby, you always find things that you just can't fathom...

I speculate a German Coin/Patriotic Token that has had its original impression removed, and kept as a memento of sorts...
    When I was a kid we used to put coins on the railroad tracks and the results looked similar to this...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 12-23-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Imperial coinage for sure - but which I can't tell exactly,
    fashioned into some kind of jewellery piece.........
    Regards,

Steve.

German Imperial 5 Mark silver coins had Gott Mitt Uns on their edges.....so did their 3 Mark coins as well as their 20 Mark Gold coins. Apparently, someone resurfaced one and made a "Love Token" or a medallion out of it. Just what the odd markings on it are meant to convey is a mystery to me, however.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."