Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is this buckle?

Article about: This probably is not much help but can give a starting date when it could have been made. They were used during ww2 still. "DRGM is for Deutsches Reichs-Gebrauchsmuster. These so-called

Default What is this buckle?

I hve spoken to David about this buckle. Neither of us have a clue as to what it is except that it is German and it is we believe period- that is, very likely Weimar era. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this buckle?   What is this buckle?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is this buckle?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What is this buckle?

Sorry Bill, never come across one before
    Ben

?

Never seen one before either, A brewery buckle? SKOL ????

I was hoping that some of our German members could come up with some words for these letters, such as "Sozialistisch" or " Samariterbund" or ?? to go with the "KOL" The fact that it is a pants buckle would seem to put it in a youth movement but maybe not.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments and thanks to Ben and Dave for theirs.

Bill

Interesting buckle for sure. Not one I've seen before. I look forward to finding out more about it! Good luck!

Rob

Pretty sure it is Czech. Stands for Sokol - a Czech Patriotic Athletic and Social Organization.
    I just checked my grandfathers lapel pin from 1918 and the letters placement are the same.
    Sokol had a very elaborate "folk" costume in Austro Hungary and the US in the late 19th early 20th centuries.
    Sokol is still functioning in the US that I know of. They should be on Wiki

A little more story edited from Wiki:

The Sokol movement (from the Slavic word for falcon) is a youth sport movement and gymnastics organization first founded in Czech region of Austria-Hungary, Prague, in 1862 by Miroslav Tyrš and Jindřich Fügner. Primarily a fitness training center, the Sokol, also through lectures, discussions, and group outings provided what Tyrš viewed as physical, moral, and intellectual training for the nation. This training extended to members of all classes, and eventually to women. The movement also spread across all the regions populated by the Slavic culture in German Empire (Poland (Sokół)), Serbia, Bulgaria (Macedonia), Russian Empire (Poland, Ukraine, Belarus), and the rest of Austria-Hungary such as Slovenia and Croatia. In many of these nations, the organization also served as an early precursor to the Scouting movements. Though officially an institution "above politics", the Sokol played an important part in the development of Czech nationalism, providing a forum for the spread of mass-based nationalist ideologies. The articles published in the Sokol journal, lectures held in the Sokol libraries, and theatrical performances at the massive gymnastic festivals called Slets (Czech plural: slety) helped to craft and disseminate the Czech nationalist mythology and version of history.

World War I to Communism: Continued struggle of Czech nationalism

With the onset of World War I, in 1915 the Sokols were officially disbanded. Many members were active in persuading the Czechs to defect from the Austro-Hungarian army to the Russian side. Sokol members also helped create the Czechoslovak Legions and local patrols that kept order after the disintegration of Habsburg authority, and during the creation of Czechoslovakia in October 1918. They also fulfilled their title as the "Czech national army", helping to defend Slovakia
    against the invasion of Béla Kun and the Hungarians

The Sokol flourished in the early interwar period, and by 1930 had 630,000 members. The Sokols held one last Slet (350,000 Sokols) on the eve before the Munich Agreement of 1938 and were later brutally suppressed and banned during the Nazi occupation of Bohemia and Moravia.
    After World War II they held one more Slet in 1948 before they were once again suppressed, this time by the Communists. The Communist Party tried to replace tradition of Slets with mass exercises employed for propaganda purposes: Spartakiad (Czechoslovakia) (spartakiády).
    The Sokols reappeared briefly during the Prague Spring of 1968. After years of hibernation, Sokol was revived for the fourth time in 1990; a Slet was in 1994 (23,000 Sokols participating), after the fall of Communism. Presently, the organization focuses on physical training in gymnastics and other athletics. Its popularity is, however, well below pre-war levels and a large percentage of members are older people with memories of the pre-1948 Sokol movement. A further Slet was held in 2000 (25,000 Sokols); another was held in July 2006.
    [edit]Sokol Abroad

Members of Sokol who emigrated from Czechoslovakia set up small Sokol groups abroad. This Sokol migration, for a variety of reasons, began even before Czechoslovakia became a nation in 1918, intensified as a result of the World Wars and the Communist suppression, and continues to this day. Bohemian, Moravian, and Slovak immigrants and Czech-American citizens started the American Sokol Organization in St. Louis Missouri in 1865, only three years after the first Prague Sokol. Units quickly formed and by 1878, the United States had 13 Sokol chapters. By 1937, American Sokol membership rolls counted nearly 20,000 adults in areas as far-flung as New York City, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Chicago, Cleveland, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, St. Louis, Texas and parts of Canada.
    [edit]

Many thanks for that info, very interesting
    Ben

?

Interesting buckle, Bill!

I cannot read exactly the marking! Is it "DRGM 36"?

These Slavic athletic movement has obviously a German chapter in the region Lausitz. The Sorbs are Slavian people wich are living in Germany as a national minority but still with their own language and their own culture.

Best,
    Guido

Guido, et al,

Thaks for the great comments and suggestions. . Guido to answer your question-yes it is marked "DRGM" 36 as well a "A" for Assmann. This is the same mark as shown on the Feldherren hall buckle that was recently on German ebay and yanked off by ebay before it sold or someone offered a great price off line and it was accepted. Anyway, with that said I believe those letters, numbers etc were added to increse the collector interest. In the case of my "KOL "S" buckle I do not believe it to be a fantasy piece based on it's construction and the logo. My question is could this organization have been active in Germany during the Weimar or even the Nazi period? The buckle certainly looks to be of German manufacture. As to the Feldherren hall buckle I will leave the discussion to David whom I have already spoken too on this buckle.

Thanks again,

All the best.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast