Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

1878 nepali francotte martini henry

Article about: just taken delivery of my winter project - a 1878 Francotte Martini Henry short lever - from IMA. This is one of their "untouched" firearms from the Nepal cache. With the "unt

Default 1878 nepali francotte martini henry

just taken delivery of my winter project - a 1878 Francotte Martini Henry short lever - from IMA. This is one of their "untouched" firearms from the Nepal cache. With the "untouched" arms it is I believe a lucky dip in terms of condition and completeness, but IMA do make that very clear on their site. But it was only $189 plus postage so worth a bit of a punt I thought.

First impressions are good, it is complete apart from the butt plate (all missing as taken for the brass). Covered in years of accumulated grease and crud but in really sound condition, with woodwork good apart with a few minor dings. Some corrosion on the barrel along the line of the hand stock but nothing too terrible

A few photos, first straight out of the box, and the second set after quick clean a vulpex liquid soap. Next job will be to strip down and give it a thorough clean.

1878 nepali francotte martini henry1878 nepali francotte martini henry1878 nepali francotte martini henry1878 nepali francotte martini henry1878 nepali francotte martini henry1878 nepali francotte martini henry
    Last edited by harry211; 01-15-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Default Re: 1878 nepali francotte martini henry

An interesting little project you have there...

looks like a bargain,well done.

I've seen these rifles on IMA for a few years now. They are outside my area of interest, but I do believe the restoration project aspect of it is super cool!

PLEASE keep us updated as you bring that baby back to life!

That should be a fun project - make sure you post "after" pictures.

Pit.

Nice rifle at a bargain price!...

Indeed, please post photos of your progress.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

some fairly quick progress on this. Both barrel bands came off with very little encouragement and so have now been able to assess the state of the barrel under the hand guard. As expected there is a fair degree of pitting on the underside of the barrel but also alot of the original blueing still remains. Being the UK this is only ever going to be a wall hanger anyway...

After some wd40 and a bit of heat the screw holding the action in the receiver came out and I was able to remove the entire action as one piece ( one of the good features of the Francotte I understand as made cleaning in the field much easier).

The action is nice and tight and fully functioning but needed a good clean as covered in crud.

All in all I am amazed that a rifle stored for so long in less than ideal conditions is coming apart so easily. Saying that, the long bolt that holds the stock to the receiver is stuck fast so will be spending a while soaking in wd40 to see if that will shift it.

1878 nepali francotte martini henry1878 nepali francotte martini henry

that would make a nice wall hanger in the den as is, I like the aged appearance

maybe you could find a antique buttplate and complete the set?

must admit i am saving up for the mk iv martini henry from them but i want to shoot it eventually .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast