Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1890 GEW.88 Rifle

Article about: Though I would post up a recent purchase at a local militaria show. On the table I bought it from it looked a little un loved and forgotten about, and with terrible lighting in the hall it d

Default 1890 GEW.88 Rifle

Though I would post up a recent purchase at a local militaria show. On the table I bought it from it looked a little un loved and forgotten about, and with terrible lighting in the hall it didnt help show its true potential.

Its deactivated (which is a whole lot easier to own and display here) but still cocks and clicks. The seller just had a bit of masking tape on the stock with "styer" and the price on it, but I had and idea of what it was and I managed to get it right as we were packing up. When I got it home I found I was correct, its a GEW.88, made by Styer and dated 1890 on the receiver. Disappointingly the tape had left a mark on the stock which I have blended back quite well again. Its imperial proofed everywhere and is fully matching except for the bolt, but its all been together for quite awhile as you can see.

There is also some graffiti in the stock, a name or two scratched into it. Under my lights at home I can see some nice striping in the wood which I am happy with. All in all I think I did well out of this one and it sits nicely with my GEW.98.

Does anyone know the unit this one might have belonged to? On the front barrel band it marked "T.A.III.12". Cant find any reference to these initials anywhere.

Regards
    Jason

1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle1890 GEW.88 Rifle

Default Re: 1890 GEW.88 Rifle

These are very nice looking rifles and well made.
    And this one is great example, i love the patina and the carvings on the wood seem old.
    Good purchase.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Looks good Jase, very nice up on the wall mate!

looks good. I had one that I use to shoot.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

I have a reference to T. A. XII. 16 equating to Armeekorps XII, Telegraphen Abteilung, Waffe 16, so on that basis [if correct] yours would be
    Armeekorps III, Telegraphen Abteilung, Waffe 12.

Don't have access to my reference books at present so wouldn't be 100% but I thought I would post the information for you anyway.

Thaks for the comments guys, much appriciated

Richie, great info. I just had a quick look online and I do find a reference to a 2nd Telegraph Battalion, Armeekorps III based in Frankfurt during its peacetime organization. The date on the receiver would also match up to this peacetime organization period so you might be onto something here. Many Thanks indeed

Jason