Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1911 advice

Article about: I would buy the springfield if I was going to shoot it. I would not trade your m1 carbine. It is worth more than the Springfield. If you are looking for a collector grade 1911 or 1911A1 I wo

Default 1911 advice

I am currently hunting for a 1911 to add to my collection for my upcoming 21st birthday. I want a gun I can shoot and one at a reasonable price, so not a mint original. I also have considered commercial models like the modern made 1911a1 by Springfield Armory. I am looking in the price range of 500-850$
    Does anyone know where to find originals at a reasonable rate, or have advice on which commercially made gun to get?
    Thanks

Default Re: 1911 advice

I don't think their is one in a " reasonable price range anymore. At least not a 1911 or 1911A1 military.
    Even the russian import lugers are bringing money these days. If I were you I would buy a Springfield 1911A1 GI. But buy the one made in Geniseo ILL. The ones that are advertised as Springfield Armory MFG. Are from the Philippines and look good in appearance, but the metal they are using seems like melted down tank plateing.
    Just my Thoughts,
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Are you looking for strictly American made if you are looking for just a 1911 for the range I have owned a Norinco for many years and have fired hundreds of rounds through her with 0 problems.
    A couple of images of my 1911 knock off with cherry wood grips.
    If I remember correctly it was under $450 CDN
    Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1911 advice   1911 advice  

1911 advice   1911 advice  

1911 advice   1911 advice  

for a gun your going to use as a shooter, definitely buy a current production M1911A1

I would recommend a Springfield Armory WWII model or GI Milspec model

the WWII model will be a closer copy of the old GI version with the smaller sites

you can add some original WWII brown plastic grips to make it look more authentic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1911 advice  

?

The new Remington 1911 are another you should look into.

I was thinking about a springfield, or auto ordinance, but I have heard mixed reviews on the second. I have debated trading my carbine on an original as well.
    Thanks for your posts guys

The Norinco looks pretty fine, I've grown to really appreciate Norinco stuff over the years, and this is from someone who constantly rails about "made in China" products...

I not so long ago had an RIA "Milspec", which is cast pieces but seems to function very well, in fact it had an amazingly nice trigger. I replaced the somewhat dubious grips with some checkered Walnut Colt pieces, and the gun was as much 1911 as you could want, especially on a buget.

But what I really liked about it is that it looked like a WWII 1911A1.

The Springfield posted above looks like a real nice option also.

I'd personally recommend looking for a real WWII 1911, especially if you're a collector. I happened onto mine quite by chance. I had a couple things for sale locally, a guy called asking if I was interested in a WWII 1911. He had a minty Remington Rand (not very interesting to me), and a genuinely used looking 1943 Ithaca, immensely more interesting. I'd already done all my homework on the Ithaca before meeting up, which inspector stamps to look for ( Col J Atwood if I remember correctly, this info is thankfully all over the net), which is the correct frame serial # range, correct barrel markings, what are the correct mags, etc.

It's an amazing piece, nothing else feels like it, or looks like it.

Quote by kilomikesierra1960 View Post
    The Norinco looks pretty fine, I've grown to really appreciate Norinco stuff over the years, and this is from someone who constantly rails about "made in China" products...

I not so long ago had an RIA "Milspec", which is cast pieces but seems to function very well, in fact it had an amazingly nice trigger. I replaced the somewhat dubious grips with some checkered Walnut Colt pieces, and the gun was as much 1911 as you could want, especially on a buget.

But what I really liked about it is that it looked like a WWII 1911A1.

The Springfield posted above looks like a real nice option also.

I'd personally recommend looking for a real WWII 1911, especially if you're a collector. I happened onto mine quite by chance. I had a couple things for sale locally, a guy called asking if I was interested in a WWII 1911. He had a minty Remington Rand (not very interesting to me), and a genuinely used looking 1943 Ithaca, immensely more interesting. I'd already done all my homework on the Ithaca before meeting up, which inspector stamps to look for ( Col J Atwood if I remember correctly, this info is thankfully all over the net), which is the correct frame serial # range, correct barrel markings, what are the correct mags, etc.

It's an amazing piece, nothing else feels like it, or looks like it.
    Does RIA still produce these?

Quote by samnev View Post
    The new Remington 1911 are another you should look into.
    The 1911r1 looks like a sweet gun, but I am looking for a more vintage style so I can display it with my aircore uniform.

I saw an original WWII 1911A1 in Belgium the other day up for sale. Not the best example I had ever seen, but still in working order.
    The guy was looking for 1200 euros, including some wartime amo. I offered him 800 euros, he did not except the offer. Not a clue if it is sold by now, but I will be back there in a week or two, so if you would like me to have a look drop me a line.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast