Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*

Article about: Just picked up this 1917 BSA mkIII* today, I traded a jungle carbine that had an aftermarket flashhider and some cash on top. Everything matches except the rear sight and the stock seems to

?

Default 1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*

Just picked up this 1917 BSA mkIII* today, I traded a jungle carbine that had an aftermarket flashhider and some cash on top. Everything matches except the rear sight and the stock seems to have been redone (by owner or factory, not sure which). It have Canadian stamps all over. everything seems good, just a little pitting in the bore, cant wait to fire it this week along with my new mosin and tokarev. Let me know what you guys think. Also could use some help for some stamp identification.

1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*
    1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*

1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*
    What does this "TR" stamp stand for, my best guess was maybe a lightly stamped FTR or a shortened version?

1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*
    also not sure what to make of this HV? below the rear sight stamped on the barrel. Also some lettering on the sight ramp itself.

Nice looking rifle phil97. I believe I read somewhere the HV stamping denotes High Velocity. Not sure on other armorer's marks.

?

just did a quick search using what you said and i found exactly what you mentioned.
    Lee-Enfield: Ident Stampings 2

"the HV (High Velocity) signified that the rifle's sights had been recalibrated for the Mk7 (modern) ammunition. The SC (Short Cone) signified that the chamber had been shortened for the Mk7 ammo, vice the older 215 gr round nose ammo."

Looks good mate..ive just spent the last two days at the Australian manufacturer of 303s (Lithgow) during both wars..just wondering, surely the no5 would be worth more than the MK3?

Lithgow museum display..every year of manufacture
    1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*

?

wow thats awsome, id indefinetely like to see that some day. contrary to what you would think, the Carbine is actually almost half the price of the mkIII's here in Canada, not sure what the markets like elsewhere. My theory on this is that most gun owners in Canada buy guns to hunt and the no4's and mkIII's are to heavy and need to be sportarized. therefore decreasing the market of available unsportarized lees, however the carbine being light as it is makes a perfect hunting gun and therefore arent sportarized. Also being little used in WW2 due to its late entry makes it less desirable to collectors and so these two factors make it so the price is less than that of No4's and mkIII's. I tend to see atleast one a week for sale on various sites and shows and their fairly consistent at the 450-600$ range.
    The reason i traded mine off was that mine was a 1946 and had an aftermarket flashhider that needed some sight adjustments and so didnt fit nicely into my collection. mkIII's sell for between 700-1500 here and no4's are consistent around 600-1000.

?

Quote by wizardman View Post
    Lithgow museum display..every year of manufacture
    1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*
    AWESOME!!!! I just looked at my OA bayonet and I'll put in my order for the 8/44 please.

Great pic wizardman. I have to admit it made me tingle a little bit

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

You got your self a beautiful one there Phil!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Some truly respectful prices for milsurps it seems these days. Again very nice rifle you have there and hope you enjoy the range time.

?

I have a handfull of new toys for the range this week, This beauty, a mosin, and a tokarev. Cant wait!!! What do you guys think of the wood, not sure if its been redone or not, it looks way to good. I remember reading somewhere that at some point after the war they redid the furniture on most rifles before being sent back in service. Could this be the case? it doesnt have that think laquer type finish i tend to see on most examples.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast