Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*

Article about: Just picked up this 1917 BSA mkIII* today, I traded a jungle carbine that had an aftermarket flashhider and some cash on top. Everything matches except the rear sight and the stock seems to

$700-$1500!!!!! wow im moving to Canada! I have a substantial number of MK3s, MK1s, No4 (not as many) and one lone no5 ..also have a look for the less well known no6,its the Australia version of the No5 but is slightly different..infact i was just playing with a no6 at Lithgow that was manufactured with a pistol grip..any collector who gets the chance should definitely go to the Lithgow small arms museum..they have an enormous collection of all weapons, they were telling me 6000 pistols a whole wall of Lugers and Mausers..also a great bunch of men and women many of whom used to work there
    Lithgow Small Arms Factory Museum

?

Cant help with the T mark but the R on the barrel knox is for replacement or reserve grade barrel (as per SKENNERTON). As mentioned the HV is High Velocity sighted for Mk VII ball.

Im not 100% but Ive read that the butt discs were stopped in 1916. Your rifle is made in 1917 but also has a distinct marking where a butt disc was. Possible that the stock has been replaced, it looks a little dark but it might just be the pictures. Are there any other markings on the woodwork? Either way if you're shooting it, it wouldn't worry me, original stocks seem to split on me whenever I try to shoot with them.

Alex

?

wizardman - That Lithgow picture is AWESOME!

Quote by Alex W View Post
    ...Im not 100% but Ive read that the butt discs were stopped in 1916.

Alex
    Some early dispersal rifles still have this feature (at least 1940 rifles), on original first issue walnut stocks, that actually are darker. So it could be a WWII replacement.
    Would be useful to see the markings and the s/n.

?

i read about a stock refinishing program in the mid 30's and my guess is that is where this comes from. Their are some inspectors marks? on the grip of the buttstock, i will take pictures when i head to the range tomorrow. There also appears to be a badly stamped serial number on the buttstock i think? (maybe its just my imagination).

I had the option of 3 mkIII*'s one had a completely refinished furniture set but was a heavy barreled lithgow, the other was another BSA with a heavily repaired stock so I went with this one due to the fact id be shooting it and didnt want to worry bout additional cracks in the stock and its a great show piece. Also for another 200$ I could have gotten a 1915 BSA mkIII with the brass disk, volley sight and cutoff but unfortunately ive reached budget for guns this year.

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Cant help with the T mark but the R on the barrel knox is for replacement or reserve grade barrel (as per SKENNERTON). As mentioned the HV is High Velocity sighted for Mk VII ball.

Im not 100% but Ive read that the butt discs were stopped in 1916. Your rifle is made in 1917 but also has a distinct marking where a butt disc was. Possible that the stock has been replaced, it looks a little dark but it might just be the pictures. Are there any other markings on the woodwork? Either way if you're shooting it, it wouldn't worry me, original stocks seem to split on me whenever I try to shoot with them.

Alex
    What does a replacement or reserve grade barrel en-tale, it has matching serial numbers on the side of the know beneath the wood and its lightly pitted towards the end of the rifling but still shooting grade but what can you expect from a 99 year old gun.

?

after doing some more research i found a source that indicates the R stands for rusted barrel which is consistent with the light pitting.

The s/n is usually found on the fore end, just below the steel "nose"

?

Ended up getting really busy this week and forgot to post these pictures, no serial number on stock just an S at the top rear (short stock) and 3 markings im unfamilliar with if someone could help (they read 7|GE 39|GE 90|GE).

Also would like to add that it shoots beautifully but needs a little sight work since it was shooting 4" right at 100 yards.
    1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*
    1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*
    1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*
    1917 BSA SMLE no1 mkIII*

The S stands for "short" (the buttstocks were produced in 3 sizes); other markings (90 GE, etc.) to me are inspector's stamps. Probably a replacement stock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast