Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

1917 USA Enfield.

Article about: Hey guys, Purchased this a few weeks back. A rather nice 1917 Enfield, that still has its original blu finish and escaped the Parkerizing of WWII. Has original ww1 barrel. High chance that i

Default 1917 USA Enfield.

Hey guys,

Purchased this a few weeks back. A rather nice 1917 Enfield, that still has its original blu finish and escaped the Parkerizing of WWII. Has original ww1 barrel. High chance that is one did not see any service during ww1 as it dates to very late 1918. The cartouche is post-World War I to pre WWII or early WWII. All parts are correctly marked "E" for eddy stone.

I doubt that this one saw any service in WWII or very little. Judging on the condition.

Any one have any pictures of these being used in WWII by the Americans? I know they were also used by the philipinos, Chinese, English, French, Ect, Ect.

I have seen that picture with one of these being used state side for training. Apparently these were a very common training rifle.

You can still find these reasonably priced. Less than a 1903/03a3. Even though 3/4 of the AEF was armed with this style rifle in WW1.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1917 USA Enfield.   1917 USA Enfield.  

1917 USA Enfield.   1917 USA Enfield.  

Attached Images Attached Images 1917 USA Enfield.  1917 USA Enfield.  1917 USA Enfield.  1917 USA Enfield.  1917 USA Enfield. 

My question is this odd stamp on the stock. It's right on the pistol grip and is stamped "SPWF" any idea what this stamp means?

I am hoping it stands for "Shore Partrol" "WF" is a mystery. All speculation here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1917 USA Enfield.   1917 USA Enfield.  

1917 USA Enfield.  

MAP
    ?

Wish I could provide some info Danny. I was able to pick up a nice one yesterday for $400. If I remember, a much lower serial number. Dont remember if it was blued or parkerized. Passed on it but not sure if that is high or low. I may have been able to get it a bit cheaper if I tried.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Wish I could provide some info Danny. I was able to pick up a nice one yesterday for $400. If I remember, a much lower serial number. Dont remember if it was blued or parkerized. Passed on it but not sure if that is high or low. I may have been able to get it a bit cheaper if I tried.
    I feel like these are really under appreciated. $400 sounds like good price. I would buy it at that price. The stamp on mine will most likely remain a mystery.

Michael, what manufacturer was the one you were looking at?

That's a nice looking rifle. I bought a Winchester last month, and thought it would be fun to get all the manufacturers, went to a guns how yesterday, and found a Remington and Eddystone. I didn't think it would be that quick lol I have a Remington Bayonet, now I guess I just need a Winchester bayo and a Kerr sling.

MAP
    ?

It was an eddystone.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    That's a nice looking rifle. I bought a Winchester last month, and thought it would be fun to get all the manufacturers, went to a guns how yesterday, and found a Remington and Eddystone. I didn't think it would be that quick lol I have a Remington Bayonet, now I guess I just need a Winchester bayo and a Kerr sling.
    I like these rifles a lot. They are very well made, machining is very well done. Quality is excellent. Heck even the trigger feels like a current hunting rifle. They are one of the heavier rifles I own though.

I would love to buy all three of the manufacturers too! But I have to be a one of each type of person.

I really don't understand how these are not nearly as valuable as the 1903/o3a3's. Maybe because they are not really an American design.

Training during WWII.

Any one else have pictures of these being used by the Americans in WWII?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1917 USA Enfield.  

Quote by MAP View Post
    It was an eddystone.
    Eddy stone is the most common one. But I was reading that the bulk of these (enfields 1917's) were sold surplus post WW1, most people bubbad them up and turned them into hunting rifles. So while not rare today, they are definitely not common in original condition. See probably 10 1903's to every 1917.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast