Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1918A2 BAR and M14/M1AE2

Article about: by Mikel That's just baloney about shoting in the sky. I trained with BARs M14s, E2s, and 16s. I advised guys who carried BARs on combat operations while the rest of us were burdoned with M2

?

Default 1918A2 BAR and M14/M1AE2

1918A2 BAR and M14/M1AE2
    When the US decided to cease production of the BAR it adopted the M14 which would serve in place of the M1 in Semi and the BAR in Full Auto. The last iteration had two modes of Full auto a slow rate approximately 400 rpm and a fast rate about 550 . Except for the US Marine BAR's which kept the semi only and full auto modes of the first BAR's
    It was quickly found out that the M14 was to light for full auto fire with the 7.62X51 NATO cartridge. In an attempt to remedy the problem the E2 version was adopted with the addition of the pistol griped straight line heavier stock, add on muzzle break, front fold down grip and the bipod. It was provided with a selector switch where the operator could select either semi or full auto.Most M14's issued had the selector switched disabled so only semi auto fire could be had.
    The M14/M1AE2 pictured was produced in Devine Texas as a full/semi auto M1A/M14.
    The selector switch is pictured and fully operational. In the prone position using th bipod, stabilizer., and front paddle if the operator shoots 3-4 round burst the rifle is capable of decent controlled fire although not aas good as the BAR. All parts on this weapon except the receiver are genuine government contract (GI) parts

1918A2 BAR

1918A@ and M1AE2/M1AE2

M14 Selector Switch
    Last edited by samnev; 03-21-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Default Re: 1918A2 BAR and M14/M1AE2

Love the Browning BAR !

I expect that these experimental 'M14/M1AE2' versions are quite rare.........
    Regards,

Steve.

A good friend of mine carried the M14/M1AE2 in VietNam. He about had kittens when I let him shoot my M1A. It was the first gun he had fired since he left VietNam in '68.

Nice guns

Burt

Love the bar and the M1e2. Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for a preban national match m1a myself. Cheers, Robert

?

Quote by TNcollector View Post
    Love the bar and the M1e2. Thanks for sharing. I have been looking for a preban national match m1a myself. Cheers, Robert
    Robert,
    I am lucky enough to have a Devine, Texas National match my self. I've had a few other National Match M1A's over the years but sold them and kept the Devine, TX one and they were all excellent shooters. If you can locate one it will have all/mostly GI parts. They command a premium but are well worth the extra $$$.
    Burt and Steve thanks for the kind words.
    Regards,
    Sam

Excellent weapons, Sam. I've handled the BAR but not shoot it, when serving my duty-an impressive weapon. The M14s reached Greece quite a while back, when sent together with U.S. made frigates, as a FMA. Don't know if they're still in greek Navy inventory, together with the G3s.
    Best regards, Thanos.

?

The BAR is a beuatiful brute. I like that a lot. Colourful history too stretching back to the Monitors and was even used by in one variation or other by criminals such as Bonnie & Clyde.

The M14 is very nice too. Last stand before mouse gun calibres.

In regards to full-auto capability; The USMC did the right thing, as they went for a three-shot burst function.

Full-auto/Rock 'n' Roll in a serviceman rifle has no place in warfare and is only retained as a moral booster. Ordinary soldiers cant use it for anything, as its usually one aimed shot and the rest fired wildly into the air. THAT is just my opinion of course.

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    The BAR is a beuatiful brute. I like that a lot. Colourful history too stretching back to the Monitors and was even used by in one variation or other by criminals such as Bonnie & Clyde.

The M14 is very nice too. Last stand before mouse gun calibres.

In regards to full-auto capability; The USMC did the right thing, as they went for a three-shot burst function.

Full-auto/Rock 'n' Roll in a serviceman rifle has no place in warfare and is only retained as a moral booster. Ordinary soldiers cant use it for anything, as its usually one aimed shot and the rest fired wildly into the air. THAT is just my opinion of course.

I can attest to the fact that if one fires more than a 3-4 round burst, even in the prone position using the Bipod fold down front grip and the E2 stock no more than 3 maybe 4 will be on target. Great rifle on semi. Not so much on full auto unless on likes drilling holes in the sky.

?

Yea, its a monster on full auto. Imagine shooting that thing on rock 'n' roll while running and trying to aim. Nuts!

?

That's just baloney about shoting in the sky.
    I trained with BARs M14s, E2s, and 16s.
    I advised guys who carried BARs on combat operations while the rest of us were burdoned with M2 carbines.

The three round burst fot the 16 was after my time, but I think a good idea.
    You can hold a 16 pretty straight for a whole mag, but it wastes ammo.
    SAWs like the BAR and E2 were only to be fired in short bursts. The Stock configuration of the E2 is to facilitate prone full auto fire.
    They did not have scopes mounted as the bipods disrupt barrel harmonics.
    They were much simpler and easier to maintain that the BAR, but not nearly as robust or dependable.
    There are reasons theM14 did not persist as a 1st line weapon, but you will never convince an enthusiast of that.
    A trained and professional used has no problems keeping his piece on target.
    It is the casual plinker, bolo marksman, and guys parroting 2nd hand stories who profess the aerial tendencies of these and other pieces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast