Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1930r M91/30 "Лидия"

Article about: The first M91/30 "Mosin-Nagant" rifle in my collection was a 1942r Izhevsk. I really liked it a lot, and it was one of the first pieces that got me into firearms collecting. Howeve

Default 1930r M91/30 "Лидия"

The first M91/30 "Mosin-Nagant" rifle in my collection was a 1942r Izhevsk. I really liked it a lot, and it was one of the first pieces that got me into firearms collecting. However, 1942 Izhevsk M91/30s are considered by many to be the least rare and least desirable of all "Mosin-Nagant" rifles. For a while, I have been passively looking for a way to upgrade it...

My grandmother was born in 1930 in Zhytomir, Ukraine and her entire family was incredibly impacted by World War II. I thought that finding a 1930 dated "Mosin-Nagant" would a great way to upgrade my 1942 Izhevsk M91/30 to something a little less common while also honoring my family history.

For a while, I had been surfing gun auction sites. I had found a few examples that suited my needs... but the bidding always went way above a dollar amount that I was comfortable paying ($350+! ). Yes I would be willing to pay a little more as this would be a sentimental rifle... but in the end, it would still be a type of rifle that I could go online and pay for $150. I am not willing to pay $200 more for a particular date stamped on the barrel shank...

About two weeks ago, a gentleman on another forum approached me with a rifle for sale at a fraction of the ridiculous prices I mentioned earlier. It is a 1930r Tula... It's in a wartime stock and appears to be all matching with the exception of the buttplate which is Izhevsk marked and has a forced serial number match. From the poor photos, I am optimistic that this rifle will be very nice.

A this rifle was made in 1930, it COULD be an older style "Dragoon" that was updated to M91/30 configuration. I've read that the only way to tell for sure is to see how the rear sight is mounted to the barrel... if the fit isn't perfect, it could be an older style "Dragoon" updated with the newer style M91/30 sight... we shall see!

I don't normally name my rifles... but when I found thought I'd name this one "Лидия" (Lydia) in honor of my grandmother. or should it be "Лідія" as she is from the Ukraine...? I'll have to ask her how she spells her name in Cyrillic...

As I write this, my new rifle on a UPS truck that is "Out For Delivery" and the rifle should be in my hands by the end of the day. I'm very excited!

Here are the photos that the seller provided:
    1930r M91/30 "Лидия"1930r M91/30 "Лидия"1930r M91/30 "Лидия"1930r M91/30 "Лидия"1930r M91/30 "Лидия"1930r M91/30 "Лидия"1930r M91/30 "Лидия"1930r M91/30 "Лидия"

I'll be sure to post better photos once I receive the rifle and get a chance to clean her up!

Default Re: 1930r M91/30 "Лидия"

The gentleman who does transfers for me called and had to postpone until tomorrow. Looks like I have to keep playing the waiting game...

Patience is not one of my strong suits!

Nice rifle! I have a Izhevsk M44 that I got a great deal on and I love it.

Quote by CSM Gray View Post
    Nice rifle! I have a Izhevsk M44 that I got a great deal on and I love it.
    Thanks! This 1930r Tula M91/30 will be my first hex receiver and the newest addition to my Mosin collection:
    1930r M91/30 "Лидия"
    1930r M91/30 "Лидия"
    1930r M91/30 "Лидия"

?

Joe,

As a 1930 Tula, it would be an ex-Dragoon. The overlap year for Tulas was 1932 as they transferred to 91/30 production, I think. The odds of having an original Dragoon sight are very slim and it is almost certainly a refurb. But, it is still a beauty. I told you that the right one would come along. Congrats!!

Nice clean riffling on the barrel.
    Morris

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Joe,

As a 1930 Tula, it would be an ex-Dragoon. The overlap year for Tulas was 1932 as they transferred to 91/30 production, I think. The odds of having an original Dragoon sight are very slim and it is almost certainly a refurb. But, it is still a beauty. I told you that the right one would come along. Congrats!!
    Thanks, Mark! Your seal of approval is much appreciated!! I figured that this was a refurb, but how can I tell for sure that this is an ex-dragoon? I've read that M91/30 rear sights that were put on in the refurb process don't seat properly on dragoon barrels. Is this true?

Going to pick up the rifle now!

Beautiful rifle joe always loved those rifles

I have the rifle in hand. It's in great shape and as I expected it's a typical refurbished rifle with a mix of Tula and Izhevsk parts. There are also a lot of parts with markings that I'm not familiar with... Including "(R)" that I think stands for the US company Remington that made rifles for Russia in WWI.

The rear sight is Izhevsk and there are more tool marks than what I normally notice on that area on my other rifles... I think my new rifle is an Tula ex-dragoon upgraded to an M91/30 in the Izhevsk arsenal...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast