Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

1933 Tula Mosin Nagant 91/30

Article about: Here's one of the newest members of the family. A 1933 Hex receiver. Unfortunately a factory refurb like most so not 100% matching (forced mag and late two piece stock). Normally I would nev

?

Default 1933 Tula Mosin Nagant 91/30

Here's one of the newest members of the family. A 1933 Hex receiver. Unfortunately a factory refurb like most so not 100% matching (forced mag and late two piece stock). Normally I would never alter a piece but being a dime a dozen and a refurb I decided to go ahead and refinish the stock using a red oak stain and urathane clear coat as opposed to the original cheap shellac which was peeling pretty bad on the front end. The blueing/parkerized coating was perfect on it so I didnt bother to redo the metal.
    What are your thoughts on the refinished stock (be honest). I personally think it turned out amazing and brought the piece back to life. Should make a nice display piece along with my Tokarev and SVT as well as a great shooter.

The pictures really dont do it justice!

I think the stock turned out nice. I also have been debating the issue of refinished stocks. I see a lot of people saying "the stock has been refinished".. I personally think its an overrated "flaw".. I would rather see them refinished than rot away.

?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    I think the stock turned out nice. I also have been debating the issue of refinished stocks. I see a lot of people saying "the stock has been refinished".. I personally think its an overrated "flaw".. I would rather see them refinished than rot away.
    couldnt agree more especially with the russian refurbs, to be honest i dont think id ever even consider redoing some of the more expensive guns like an enfield stock or k98 stock unless i absolutly had to in order to preserve a piece. But on these it defiantly compliments the rifles nicely ive had many positive compliments. In all honesty the stock is still an original stock tho so its not like its a repo or anything.

Couldn't have said it better. I would rather have a nice original, refinished stock than a splintered piece of garbage with the remnants of its former glory.

?

while on the topic I have a 1917 BSA lee enfield mkIII* with replaced furniture most likely done pre WW2 and i have to say i prefer thats as far as a show piece and shooter than one with the original banged up and arsenal repaired stocks they seem rather unsafe to fire. But if you like a piece that tells a story the later is the way to go however for some reason they seem to hold a huge premium. Which is part of the reason i went with a pre WW2 furniture rebuild.

- - ------- - -

Absolutely nothing wrong with that stock. A few scratches add character, a splintering mess needs to be saved.