Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1937 Oberndorf K98

Article about: Hi, this one is from a friend, an ex navy, retired officer. Its live and legalized. Too bad its rusting away in a damp cellar. In spite that, its a portuguese contract with matching numbers

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Excellent, I hope you take that opportunity! It's a real rush to restore a piece of history like this and then hear it ROAR!
    I know what you mean and i agree.
    But i doubt this one will ever fire again.
    Sadly, it will go back to its "resting place". I decided to take on this project, because i loved the opportunity to take care of this baby and to preserve history the best i can. Hopefully it will survive a few years more because of me and that gives me joy.

The next few days i will work on the wood and then she will be greased and prepared for a long "sleep".
    There are six more examples rusting away and waiting for a good preserving work.

I will start working on the wood this afternoon.
    She was damaged during her service in Macau.

Cannot precise if its war period or post war but the black wood is a replacement.
    I will work on it and have it applied products, for it to have matching wood.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1937 Oberndorf K98  

Some would argue that you should keep the wood as is because it is part of the history of the rifle. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Some would argue that you should keep the wood as is because it is part of the history of the rifle. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
    Calm down Joe!!!!
    I havent touched her yet!!
    It has not been a good day, my girlfriend broke up with me today, so i lost track of everything.
    Its life....

About the rifle, i understand your point and perhaps you are right.

Good to see them brought back to original condition as possible. i believe kroil is a good rust remover I have heard. Kar98s is the states are going for big money these days Nuno and its nice to know they are being well cared for. Thanks for showing.

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Calm down Joe!!!!
    I havent touched her yet!!
    It has not been a good day, my girlfriend broke up with me today, so i lost track of everything.
    Its life....

About the rifle, i understand your point and perhaps you are right.
    Hi Nuno,

I didn't mean to insult or alarm you! Just letting you know what a lot of gun guys think about refinishing historic firearms.

I'm so sorry about your loss. Please let me know if I can do anything for you!!

Hi Nuno,

I didn't mean to insult or alarm you! Just letting you know what a lot of gun guys think about refinishing historic firearms.

I'm so sorry about your loss. Please let me know if I can do anything for you!!
    Hi Joe, i know you didnt mean to.

Anyway, just applyed a coat of wood wax to the stock and it looks beautiful.
    Cant wait to show it to the owner.
    Unfortunately, she will be greased up then returned to its place.

A photo of her, next to the Vergueiro.
    Cheers
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1937 Oberndorf K98  

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Good to see them brought back to original condition as possible. i believe kroil is a good rust remover I have heard. Kar98s is the states are going for big money these days Nuno and its nice to know they are being well cared for. Thanks for showing.
    Hi, thank you for the kind reply.
    Taking care of this beautiful work of art, gave me great joy.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Hi, she is all greased up and ready to be delivered to her owner.
    She will be stored in a military wood box. I will check up on her frequently.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Good job, Nuno!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast