MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

1939 98K All Matching Rifle

Article about: Hello all, I got a call today from a US Army vet looking to part with a 98K rifle he picked up from the family of the GI who shipped it home. Apparently they have the capture papers, but hav

?

Also managed to pick up some rear and front sight parts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1939 98K All Matching Rifle  

Nifty, spare parts ;-)

The front sight blade, look at the rifle, you'll see a little line where it was sighted in and then peened there with a chisel to lock it in place.

?

Doesn't look like there was a front hood sight on this one? From what I have read it is still correct for this year to not have a hood sight. Is that correct?

If you don't see a shallow horizontal groove in each side of the sight block, just under the sight blade, then it doesn't take a sight hood, which is correct for some of the earlier rifles.

?

None that I can see. I really do like the look of the sight hood though!

Ok, scratch that off you list then ;-)

Here's a pic (thought I just posted this...) of a dou 1943 I use to have, late war all stamped small parts, last of the rifles to still have a cleaning rod, later stocks not drilled or threaded. Later 98k's have a very distinctive look with that cupped buttplate.

You'll have to luck into one of those next

?

What a beauty. Now I see what the flat but plate vs cupped butt plate is about.

Heres to hoping! I am never surprised by what comes my way. I would say 90% of my collection has been local finds, be that Craigslist, flea markets, garage sales, antique stores, etc. To be honest I don't think I have ever made a purchase from an actual dealer. I enjoy the unit more than anything and for some reason I just don't get the same satisfaction from buying online as I do when I find it in person.

Nice K98K agree transitional type with Weimar droop wing eagle and strait wing Waa I have seen cupped but plates on later rifles I own a DOT 43 with one normally found on earlier stocks as stated. Can't tell about your bayonets S84/98's without closer pictures but appear to be original. Nice find! timothy

?

Thank you Timothy! I know that one bayo is original, just extra salty!

Extra salty is not really good enough to pair with that rifle... ;-)

I agree, local finds definitely have that feel good feeling, you're looking at something like that rifle, and the experience of finding it and buying it is part of the experience of owning it, it's your "lucky piece".

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast