Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1940 303 lithgow

Article about: this 303 has just been given to me by a good mate for my birthday. stamped 1940 Lithgow. but the bolt numbers don't match rifle numbers. and there is a few different stamps across the rifle

Default 1940 303 lithgow

this 303 has just been given to me by a good mate for my birthday.
    stamped 1940 Lithgow. but the bolt numbers don't match rifle numbers.
    and there is a few different stamps across the rifle it self.
    I am just wondering if these stamps are able to tell a little bit more of the history of the rifle
    I know that these were Australian made. thanks mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 303 lithgow   1940 303 lithgow  

1940 303 lithgow   1940 303 lithgow  

1940 303 lithgow  

Nice, I need mates like this ;-)

Sling and bayonet on the horizon?

Are you guys allowed to have these in fully functional condition down under?

haven't got a sling yet. but will do.
    Yes we can. I have my firearm's licence it is a basic category A, B. you can have up to 14 firearms bolt action, lever action, smooth bore, and rim fire and have to be stored in a safe. No semi auto or no hand guns these are on a different category. if I want more them 14, I need a alarmed and safe in a room. and a collectors licence I think. I just had the gum store ring I forgot to pay the 25 dollar transfer fee for this 303. so better shot back into town. what a pain be gone for a hour. cheers mark

?

That is a nice looking Mk1#3 geelong
    I myself find I am in a quandary to "FINISH" my WW2 major players helmet ,rifle and bayonet theme. I have a British Mk2 helmet and a Aussie 1907 bayonet(Cherry) Do I get another bayonet(British) or an Aussie helmet and get an Aussie Mk1 #3 or visa versa to put up on the wall!!!!!!!

The things we put ourselves through for this hobby
    Maybe both?????? Damn it all!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Every mark on these pretty much tells you something. From what I can see:

2nd pic -
    Butt socket MA is the maker code for Lithgow small arms factory NSW, No 1 Mk III rifle made in 1940.
    Bolt cocking piece OA is the maker code for Orange rifle factory NSW made between 42 and 45.
    Bolt head M - Malleable cast iron

3rd pic -
    Crossed flags proof mark on barrel / receiver is British not Lithgow indicating a replacement
    The large flat screw in the woodwork doesn't look original

6th pic -
    MA Lithgow mark on magazine
    L on woodwork I think is a early Lithgow inspectors mark

8th pic -
    BA on trigger guard is the maker code for Bathurst Rifle Factory NSW

9th pic -
    IS on the base of the rear sight is the maker code for Rifle Factory Ishapore Bengal India
    HV on the barrel indicates High velocity, sighted for Mk VII ball ammunition.

Looks like a bit of a parts rifle. Personally I'd be getting a gunsmith to look over it before I put my face behind the bolt and pulled the trigger......but feel free to call me overly cautious.

Alex

May be a factory refit at some point after the war-possibly India as many No.1 Mk IIIs ended up there and remained in military/paramilitary use until recently-if you want to know more, try getting some of the Ian Skenneton books/pamphlets on the Lee Enfields.

Definitely sounds like some sort of arsenal refurb, and if so you would think headspace, etc would be correct. Personally I'm ok never shooting these old things, but probably very wise to have it looked over be a qualified SMLE smith if you were to get an itch to send some lead downrange.

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is a nice looking Mk1#3 geelong
    I myself find I am in a quandary to "FINISH" my WW2 major players helmet ,rifle and bayonet theme. I have a British Mk2 helmet and a Aussie 1907 bayonet(Cherry) Do I get another bayonet(British) or an Aussie helmet and get an Aussie Mk1 #3 or visa versa to put up on the wall!!!!!!!

The things we put ourselves through for this hobby
    Maybe both?????? Damn it all!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    A man with a plan and goal oriented.

Thank you very much for the comments gentleman. and thank you Alex for the information on the history of this rife.
    I have shot this rifle at my mates farm that was over a few years ago. but will get someone to look at it

head space fine. went to the range I was hitting a target standing up at 500 meters. the old girl still can shoot strait. good fun to have a shot of, cheers mark.