Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1941 M91/30 Mosin Nagant

Article about: I've always wanted an M39 finnish Mosin Nagant, ever since I saw Iraqveteran8888's. in his opinion, that is the Cadillac of Mosins, and I don't disagree! but then they also cost like 3x more

?

I've always wanted an M39 finnish Mosin Nagant, ever since I saw Iraqveteran8888's. in his opinion, that is the Cadillac of Mosins, and I don't disagree! but then they also cost like 3x more...

?

Yes, they are very sweet. Mine was in the trunk of a car I bought for $300. The guy said I could have it! I offered him $160 but he turned it down. I MADE him take $30 by stuffing it in his pocket! It's in near mint cond. i added the white to the marks for visibility. also, I saw iraqiveteran8888's M/39, it's nice.

P.S
    Sorry for stepping on the OP it's very nice one! Probably was in a crate for the last 60 years! Get that cosmoline off,though!
    Attached Images Attached Images 1941 M91/30 Mosin Nagant  1941 M91/30 Mosin Nagant  1941 M91/30 Mosin Nagant 
    Last edited by Dean; 08-13-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    That's a very nice looking Izhevsk! It seems to be an above average example of the post-war rebuilds the went into storage. It appears to me that the bolt, mag floor plate and butt plate were all re-stamped - you noted the obvious marks on the butt plate. The bolt started out in a Tula (you show a picture of the Tula star, and you can see where the original number was polished off. You can also see remnants of where a number was lined out on the mag floor plate and then polished out. Finally, the fact that the fonts all match on the restamps indicate it was done during the rebuild.

That said, it is a gorgeous example of the post-war Mosins - and an above average condition from an exterior perspective, at least. Congratulation and enjoy!!!
    I noticed the star on the bolt but failed to connect it with Tula, thanks for the info! Ive had it sitting in a black trashbag in my backyard trying to cook some of the cosmo out of it, I need to fully disassemble it and soak/wipe it down with mineral spirits like ive read in a few places.

Quote by Dean View Post
    Yes, nice Izzy! Mines a Finnish rebuild and works like a dream! One of the last rounds you can get anymore, it seems! I got 220 rounds online for around $115. Did you remove the cosmoline, and if so, how? Theres a good video on YouTube on how to do it nicely, made by "Iraqi veteran 8888" I think that's his name.
    I use a leather Mauser sling on mine. It does the job.
    Working on it!
    Last edited by sunsetIE; 08-13-2013 at 06:15 PM.

?

Honestly, all I've ever used to clean my Mosins was hot water. I soak the parts in a tub of hot water and then wipe any excess off. Mineral spirits will strip the shellac from the stock so be careful if you use it.

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Honestly, all I've ever used to clean my Mosins was hot water. I soak the parts in a tub of hot water and then wipe any excess off. Mineral spirits will strip the shellac from the stock so be careful if you use it.
    Odd, several others Ive talked to used the mineral spirit method with their mosins with no adverse effects!

?

Mineral spirits will work great on metal - but it is a paint stripper so it will dissolve shellac. In fact, one of the ways to repair scratches in the shellac is to take a small amount of mineral spirits on the tip of a rag and lightly smooth over the area surrounding the scratch - it begins to loosen the shellac and it can then be blended into the scratched area.

It is certainly fine to use as you want. For me, I prefer to use hot water rather than having to get rid of hazardous materials. Just my own personal opinion and recommendation.

Mosin is actually a very good riffle in good hands. Sad that it is so difficult to own live firearms here in EU:-(

?

They are superb rifles, IMHO - that coming from a 26 year US Army vet. I think they are vastly under-rated by collectors and typically looked at as "Soviet Junk". Nothing could be further from the truth. They ARE simple, uncomplicated, tough and reliable rifles. My PU snipers will perform as good - or better - than any other Nation's sniper of the era. That is proven time and again in vintage sniper rifle competitions.

Here are my PU snipers - I've got 2 other 91/30s, an M-44, a Finish M39 and a Chinese Type 53; need to add an M38 to round out my crew.

1941 M91/30 Mosin Nagant

This shows how accurate these rifles can be. This target is from my 100 yard final sighting before a vintage sniper match. I was testing out my zero and load for the ammo I wanted to use. I had 3 lower powdered rounds mixed in the bunch. I started on the lower left with 10 rounds, adjusted and moved to the lower right with 10 rounds (note 1 low powdered round in each string of 5), adjusted again and finished with the upper red bull (1 lower powdered round in that string). Even the low powdered rounds were consistent in strike on the target. This rifle is a tack driver -a restored 1942 Izhevsk ex-sniper.

1941 M91/30 Mosin Nagant

Shes now cosmo free and securely stored with my "modern muskets" per CA firearm laws.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2