Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1942 SVT-40 pick up

Article about: My newly recent pickup today is my second SVT-40 1942 Tula marked my other one is a podolsk. It has the AVT stock on it which alot of the later svt's were equipped with the avt stock, Sr# 10

PRE
    ?

The SVT's were made for (at the time) standard LB, and while they can handle some HB, it will beat them like a piñata, and reduce the life of the rifle and it's parts. I stay with nothing but LB, and have had best results (with the adjustable gas system) with moderate reloads.

That being said, stay away from Polish LB in an SVT. I had very bad results from some of this, resulting in smoke and flying extractor, plunger and plunger spring. I have a few cases of it among others, and will probably pull down most of it for components, as long as it doesn't pass muster in my Mosins. I've attached two pics of Polish LB cases that were shot in my SVT. Notice the longitudinal failures along the case, with the second one suffering almost a complete case split.

Pat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1942 SVT-40 pick up   1942 SVT-40 pick up  

Wow I didn't realize they were so touchy. Thanks for the heads up with that info. Don't own one yet but definitely good to know.

Those cases look like those cheap brass ammo that I get for my .308 converted chilean mauser which cant be used for reloads and after you shoot them you can see what looks like stress lines going down the casing, I use full steel casings in my svt40 their about 14$ for a box of 20 and I've never had a problem they work great.

PRE
    ?

They're actually not brass at all, but the old Comm-Bloc CWS (copper washed steel) cases. I fully realize that storage conditions are everything when it comes to long ammo life, but I have 1939 dated 7.92x57mm produced in Nazi-occupied Austria that looks like it was made last month and has never been anything but reliable, consistent and boringly accurate. Quality control goes a long way.

Pat

Just bought 70 rounds of that same nazi ammo in Steele core myself a couple of weeks ago. Good stuff! Also I have an entire spam can of 7.62x54 still unopened. All of this talk makes me wonder the specifics are on those rounds. Its occurring to me that I didn't pay much attention to them. They were on sale and I grabbed them quick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2