Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?

Article about: Here is a German G43,Russian SVT40 and a US M1 Garand,all semi autos from ww2.My vote is for the Garand,what do you guys think?

MAP
    ?

I will say in hand to hand fighting, getting hit with the butt of a Garand is gonna leave the biggest mark with that 10 lbs of weight
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes the Garand is hefty but I feel she is very balanced and quick and easy to shoulder allowing for near instantaneous sight alignment

PRE
    ?

Spot on, 08SMLE48. It shoulders quickly and beautifully.

Thanks guys!Sounds like the Garand has it as being the overall best.Here is a late 30 cal. ww2 Inland carbine,not considered a rifle,more of a light shorter closer range combat weapon,these have really went up in price lately and have a great following,and I can see why.Here is the G43 posted with an original mount and scope.Original mounts are rare as hens teeth as few were made compaired to rifle production.I have turned down 2k just for the scope mount and bands.This scope has clear optics,a plus ,as a lot of them you see are dirty/clouded.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?   3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?  

3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?   3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?  

3 ww2 semi auto rifles,which was best?  
    Last edited by Toecutter; 06-11-2020 at 04:18 AM.

I have shot all three rifles. M1 Garand for me too.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by MAP View Post
    SVT reportedly had issues with maintenance, cracked stocks and accuracy.

The G43 was made in limited quantities and had issues with some parts breaking. Also used as a sniper.

The M1 was by far the most heavy. But probably the most robust. Made in the millions (multiple times the other two rifles), used for decades and National Match examples are very accurate.

But these are just my views. I don't own an SVT but do own an M1 and two G43.
    No doubt about it IMO, the M1 is and was the best full power cartridge rifle in WW2. The Russian rifles (including the SVT38 and sniper versions) physically less robust, harder to clean (and repair if needed) and needing adjustments to operate properly. The G/K-43's perhaps a little unsettling to some with the back and forth of the bolt carrier, also with durability problems, but much less complicated than the G41(W) and much scarcer G41(M) that preceded it. The recoil operated 1941 Johnson an interesting design that worked OK, but not always if it had been rebuilt or exposed to sand/dirt/mud. The Johnson's barrel/bolt locking system possibly what inspired a part of Eugene Stoner's AR15? Best Regards, Fred

MAP
    ?

Next should be a debate on the 1911, P-38, and Tokarev. That might be tougher...LoL. But I already know my favorite having shot all 3.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

M1 Garand for me...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

I vote the AVS 36 with a muzzle brake compensator. None of these guns can hold a candle to that bastard of war. I once held a bayonet to this god of war at one time.....amazing!

I do not know how I missed this thread. M1 Garand hands down for function and reliability.
    John

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast