Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

.303 Browning MkII

Article about: This is my .303 Browning MkII from 1939. I'm hoping there may be some one on the forum with a relic or deac MkII who could help me out with some dimensions of the barrel cooling jacket. I've

Default .303 Browning MkII

This is my .303 Browning MkII from 1939. I'm hoping there may be some one on the forum with a relic or deac MkII who could help me out with some dimensions of the barrel cooling jacket. I've now got the dimensions for the cooling slots, the narrow end, the wide end and the thread type. What I could do with is the dimension for the length of the jacket or between 2 points i.e. back of the booster to the face of the trunnion as I could work it out from that.

Also, would anyone happen to have a trigger plate for the MkII which slides under the rear of the gun and works of air pressure?

.303 Browning MkII.303 Browning MkII

?

Oh damn! Sorry I've never gotten back to you with the measurements! I had taken them a while ago, and misplaced the paper; I'll try and dig it up again! I hope I still have it, as I don't think I can go back to re-measure.

looks bent ?.

Think your right Harry,thats one hell of a kink.has Uri Geller been round?

Hi Chaps, Its not bent, the jacket is currently just a tube, I need the overall length and then I can complete the machining. The booster and flash hider are just placed on the end for the photos, they would normally screw tight on the end.

.303 Browning MkII

Well thats explains everything Bobby thought my eyesight was on the blink........

?

Think the original tube was slightly tapered? is the one you are machining straight? - what type of tubing are you using?
    I have a very bent MkII in the workshop if you need some photos, though I doubt I could get any accurate measurements off it (Spitfire - straight in from 7000 feet). I need a barrel shroud for a MG15 and am beginning to think getting something made might be the way to go?

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply, the jacket should be tapered. When I can get an accurate overall length for it, I can work out the taper I need and make a mandrel to force the tube over. I have the dimension for both the wide and narrow taper, the threads and the cooling slots. What I hope to do is to make a mandrel, heat the tube and force it over the mandrel to create the correct taper. When I've got the taper correct, I'll cut the cooling slots and then cut the threads. The threads at both ends appear to be an odd thread, it matches a 60 degree 0.8mm pitch metric thread so I'm going to try that first and if that's not quite right I'll try a 55 degree 32TPI whitworth thread (The whitworth thread guage doesn't fit as well as the metric guage). I would love to see some photos if you have some, even if you can't get measurements it would be nice to see some. I've been trying to work out what aircraft the brass trunnion ring on my gun would have been from, I've seen Spitfire Brownings with the same brass ring and I've also seen them with a steel one of a different design so I'm not sure. Is it a MG08/15 you have?

?

Hi again - here's a few pics of my MkII - from Spifire BL585 - see "Spitfire V BL585 - Aspull, Wigan" - it has spent the last few years in a small local museum and they wanted it asap, so it never got a proper clean - next project after the MG15 I am working on now probably! - BTW my Mg15 is the WWII gun, in this case from a Stuka shot down during the BoB.

.303 Browning MkII .303 Browning MkII .303 Browning MkII .303 Browning MkII .303 Browning MkII .303 Browning MkII .303 Browning MkII .303 Browning MkII

?

Dab of paint and it'll be good as new!!

Excellent relic with interesting background.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast