Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4th New Addition My Martini Artillery Carbine

Article about: Is this the same rifle the Englishmen used when they fought against the Zulus back in the 1800s?

Default 4th New Addition My Martini Artillery Carbine

This is my Martini Artillery Carbine which has been around a bit but still a nice looking piece of history.

Any Comments appreciated.
    Regards

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4th New Addition My Martini Artillery Carbine   4th New Addition My Martini Artillery Carbine  

4th New Addition My Martini Artillery Carbine   4th New Addition My Martini Artillery Carbine  

4th New Addition My Martini Artillery Carbine   4th New Addition My Martini Artillery Carbine  

Default Re: 4th New Addition My Martini Artillery Carbine

Were these still in .577 caliber? doesn't look like much fun to shoot if so hehe.. Very nice carbine

God I love old iron

Burt

Hello Paul,
    Yes this fired the .577/450 Martini Henry round.... a mans bullet!

At Rourkes Drift in 1879 the kick of the rifle was bad enough. Each shot increasing the recoil because of the black powder cartridge fouling the barrel creating over pressure.

The troops of the 24th had to pad their shoulder they bacame that painful.

Although not as painful as a Zulu Assegi up your arse!!

Regards

Jim

Many years ago, I used to shape down shell cases and reload these rounds for my MK 2 Martini-Henry in an RCBS Rock chucker press and I can assure you, these old beasts did Indeed kick something ferocious! I can't imagine standing behind the mealy bags and biscuit cases at Rourke's Drift and firing this gun hour after hour after hour and with a huge bayonet hanging off the end of it, no less. It must have just about crippled the survivors. They should have gotten medals just for That.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Great carbine, Jim...Those behemoth .577/450 Martini Henry rounds were devastating !!!...The greeks used them quite a lot in the late 1800s...
    Best regard, Thanos.

lol, thanks Steve very true, anything beats a spear up your arse. I've shot a Sharps .45-70 carbine, and I know how much that beat me up, i could just imagine how this one felt. I wish they made more wodden rifles today, they had character and class, not stainless steel and plastic. I wish these were easier to find on this side of the pond, they are definately cool carbines and rifles

?

I've loved the old Martini Henry's ever since i was a youngster and saw the movie Zulu and the battle at Rourke's Drift.

What a beauty.
    Lucky guy
    Cheers.
    Nuno

fantastic vintage rifle,proper mans arsenal,watched a documentry couple of years ago,regarding isandlwana prior to rorkes drift,how all those soldiers with this rifle were massacred,so easily by shields and spears,apparently poor ammo box latches was the cause,jammed hinges etc.still a great looking piece,thanks for showing it,dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast