Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

7.92 carcano arrrrgh!

Article about: I've had this 7.92 carcano for about 2 years now and its driving me crazy. I'm taking a closer look at it again because I recently obtained a volkssturm armband I could possibly display with

I have a mosin carbine too. Fireball and a mule kick!

Yeah, no kidding, freakin CANON!!!

Not a safe weapon to fire-the 7.92mm round is much more powerful than the 6.5mm and fitting the 7.92 in the chamber meant milling more of the receiver away to do it-this was done at a time of little concern for safety.

?

Maybe this one could help...

www.il91.it

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Not a safe weapon to fire-the 7.92mm round is much more powerful than the 6.5mm and fitting the 7.92 in the chamber meant milling more of the receiver away to do it-this was done at a time of little concern for safety.

I'm guessing the CUP pressure difference between the two is HUGE, although I seem to remember the 6.5x52 comes out of the barrel at something like 2300fps. They also chambered these in some odd ball intermediate 7mm something round, but smaller than 7.92x57 Patronen.

PRE
    ?

It's a Model 1938 TS (Truppi Speciali) carbine that was converted to 7.92 AFTER the war by Italy for Middle Eastern militaries (Egypt, et al.) These were mostly training/drill rifles and likely never saw combat after conversion. They are considered unsafe to fire by current standards.

These are unrelated to the 7.92 conversions performed by the Heinrich Krieghoff firm in early 1945, which were single-shot rifles and carbines. In neither case were any of these 'ear-marked' for the Volkssturm. It is more likely that the wartime Krieghoff conversions were made for Polizei and second-third tier units. It is unlikely that any of those ever made it much farther than the Tyrol where they were made.

For what it's worth, the assumption that Carcanos were 'Volkssturm rifles' comes from one or two pictures showing Carcano Moschettos being fielded by VS personnel, not by any explicit documentary evidence that specifies the VS as the target end users for these weapons.

Pat

Italian rifles,often dropped but seldom fired.lol

Not to pick on the Carcano, but this is the saying I remember from way back when "only dropped once" ;-))))))) Too funny... but I guess it's good to find humor somewhere.

@Pat.. The assumption of it being a volkssturm rifle comes from this rifle being coined a last ditch weapon. That statement alone makes one presume they were converted before the war ended. But the term is always said and never proved anywhere. Speculation for your view is very popular as well. I have no doubt they were sold to Arab nations after the war but the time of conversion still remains a mystery. Without some documentation I suppose every answer is plausible at this point.

@larboard.. You are thinking of the mas36 rifle... I have one of those also. Its in great shape!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast