Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

86,000 M1 Garands may be for sale...

Article about: This may please a few of our American Cousins...... The Philippines may be shipping 86,000 M1 Garand rifles to the US which will be made available to the US public through the Civilian Marks

I have been buying small military items at the flea market for $5 and selling for $20 on eBay for a couple of months and just been saving - looking for the right item to buy. Got about $1000 in the fund and I think that I just found what I'm getting! Cant wait to get a nice rifle and take out to the farm.

PRE
    ?

Nbushyager,
    If you don't have one already, I have no doubt you will be very happy with a CMP Garand. Very hard to wrong with them.
    Pat

I agree-Over the years I've bought two M-1 Garands from the CMP and was very happy with both!!

Definitely heard of this story a few weeks ago. Not a cmp member but I have a c&r license. My hope is that when they flood the market there may be a window of opportunity to purchase a ww2 original for a tad cheaper.

In California, to purchase any firearm, it has to be on the State's DOJ "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale" list, Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General. Of course the link above only shows Handguns. I am not sure if rifles are based on just a checklist of things they can't have (flash suppressor, pistol grip stock, a magazine that can be removed from the bottom via a release, even if a tool is required, etc.). Most of the harsher laws went in to effect 01/01/2017 thus there was a huge rush in Cali to purchase AR-15 & M4 type weapons before the "assault weapons ban" went in to effect at the beginning of the year. Of course anyone who bought such a weapon legally, (i.e - registered lower) prior to 2017 is on the list of assault weapon owners which many believe will be used to locate and seize the weapons sometime in the future.

Because of the certification process that California requires, among with a million other firearm restrictions, many firearm manufacturers don't even bother to attempt to sell their guns here (there is a cost to the process, plus making the firearm "California Legal"). Case in point, I wanted to buy a Watlther PPK but could not because it's not on the list. PPK is a simple .380 6 round pistol. But I guess Walther doesn't want to go through the cost of possible re-tooling and certification costs.

But I was told if I could find a PPK manufactured prior to 1946 it would be grand fathered in (sorry, I don't have the $$$ for a 1944 PPK). Thus this could be the case for the M1 Garrands as I have seen many vintage M1s at local gun shows (usually not for sale) and you can buy a brand new Springfield for approximately $1,300.

Long winded post with my only point being would these fall under the M1's already certified by CA DOJ? Interesting to see if they'll be sold to CA residents.
    Last edited by trespass; 06-16-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Hey MAP, there are hundreds of organizations you can join that will qualify you to purchase a garand from CMP. They have a search engine on their website that will tell you what groups qualify. One of the easiest is to join the Garand Collectors group. I think it's $30 a year. You get a very cool magazine and it qualifies you to buy a garand through CMP. I've bought two garands through CMP over the last 20 years, it's a great organization. Pretty darn easy process to buy. A little paperwork but well worth it.

Jay
    I called GCA to verify this information. Jay is right, join GCA for between $25-$40 and you'll meet the CMP "affiliation" requirement.

Thank you Jay!

Default Condition

[QUOTE=PRE;1746752]The CMP is a great organization, and you will get a high quality and entirely serviceable rifle from them. Both my '43 Springfield and '55 HRA Garands were purchased from the CMP, and I couldn't be happier with them.

I would be VERY wary of any Garands coming from tropical climates like the PI.
    Pat

IF...and when the garands get here I would agree with Pat about the condition of said rifle. Most will be field grade and the good one and there will be some will go to auction on the CMP website.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Here is more about the subject talked about on this site. Just of interest is that the member there Bob Seijas is a writer for the GCA magazine.

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=60495&page=1

Also talk about the Korean Garands and carbines.

Semper Fi
    Phil

PRE
    ?

Trespass,
    Almost.
    Here's the Quick N' Dirty Guide: I'll stick to C&R eligible long guns like the Garand for clarity here. Semi-auto doesn't matter. A California resident needs to have a C&R FFL and a California COE (Certificate of Eligibility) to have C&R long guns shipped directly to them from out of state. With both of those valid documents, you are good to go, and the out of state seller is in no way obligated to register with California DOJ to sell that type of firearm to a California resident. Once received, the California resident has to fill out a pretty simple record noting the rifle's aspects (barrel length, type, country of origin, et al.) and submit the form to the CalDOJ. The burden is actually on the buyer, NOT the seller. Privately owned, non-C&R holders from out of state can sell in this way to California C&R's.

There is a ton of bad information and rumor out there being passed off as fact, and the desk 'agents' at CalDOJ who answer phones and try to provide answers really aren't much help. I am a California resident and have bought Garands from the CMP and had them delivered directly to me.

Pat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3