Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

9mm LP42 Flare Gun & Schalldampfer What is This?

Article about: Hi, does someone have more information on this 9mm flare gun with "HUB schalldampfer 1944" stamped on the top of barrel, and what they were used for? I imagine the HUB is the 3 let

gewehr79
    ?

Default Re: 9mm LP42 Flare Gun & Schalldampfer What is This?

Hello all.. I am the current owner of this interesting flare gun. I picked it up at an on-line auction site a little while back. Has any new information surfaced on this piece?? I have this in front of me and noticed a few things that were not brought up. I noticed that on the barrel bushing,at the breech end there a pair of waffenamts.I noticed that it has been fired quite a bit.There is a considerable buildup of carbon and discolorization at the barrel end.One thing that also got my curiosty is that the pistol is "supposed" to have this noise-suppressor that is screwed on..but...there is no provision on the holster where it would be stored.The pocket on the holster holds a tube which inside is a 9mm cleaning brush.
    THANKS FOR ANY NEW INFO !!!!

gewehr79,
    Your pistol created an interesting discussion on Jan Stills site. The German collectors did not like it.
    Opinions Please....Mystery LP42 Flare Gun - Jan C Still Luger Pistols Central Powers Axis Pistols Discussion Boards From Gunboards.com
    Cheers,
    Jason

Q.E.D.... Thanks Jason for the link, not only does it show what the experts on flare pistols know, as much as those that do not, but still desperately try to cling to after reading the facts that are known.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

gewehr79
    ?

Well....If nothing else it is an interesting conversation piece . lol..To answer a previous question, the barrell is 27mm in diameter. The bushing for the 9mm barrell ends about 40mm from the end of the flare guns 27mm barrell. There is a slight void area then the screwed in extension starts. I "assume" the screwed in part is a pressed fit in the flare gun barrell. I thought it strange that on the threaded section,It seems that something had been screwed in there fairly recently as the threads have a bright shine to them at the end part. The rest has discolorization from sitting.That also is some kind of jam-nut in the threaded section where it spins easily where it may have been used to lock the silincer or whatever was there in place.Also, it seemes the barrell was of some kind of pistol. In the pictures you might see where there is a 'notch' where an ejector for the spent shell might have went.
    I was considering the idea of it was used to dispatch horses. Why wouldn't the person just use a standard pistol in case he needed a second or third shot?? I'm sure there were plenty of small arms produced by Germany and captured weapons .If there wasn't the marking on the top denoting a silencer....It "might" have been used with a dummy 9mm cartridge to throw a line out..maybe to another ship or???

Its a west german police tear gas launching pistol i have a pic of one somewhere i will try to find it

gewehr79
    ?

Thank you...very much appreciated !!!!!!! :d

Quote by big ned View Post
    Q.E.D.... Thanks Jason for the link, not only does it show what the experts on flare pistols know, as much as those that do not, but still desperately try to cling to after reading the facts that are known.

Regards, Ned.
    Shit Ned, I would have sent the link to you myself if you enjoyed it that much.

I was not clinging, just believed it was a correct piece.

Cheers

Quote by gewehr79 View Post
    Hello all.. I am the current owner of this interesting flare gun. I picked it up at an on-line auction site a little while back. Has any new information surfaced on this piece?? I have this in front of me and noticed a few things that were not brought up. I noticed that on the barrel bushing,at the breech end there a pair of waffenamts.I noticed that it has been fired quite a bit.There is a considerable buildup of carbon and discolorization at the barrel end.One thing that also got my curiosty is that the pistol is "supposed" to have this noise-suppressor that is screwed on..but...there is no provision on the holster where it would be stored.The pocket on the holster holds a tube which inside is a 9mm cleaning brush.
    THANKS FOR ANY NEW INFO !!!!

I tried to research this thing until my eyes bled. I saw the waffenampts, but did not mention. Only one person said something about the marks on the muzzle.
    I should not have kept saying I will post pics soon in my posts......I like to follow through. The seller was kind enough to let me not follow through with the purchase though.

After all this, how about some more very good clear close shots of this "Mystery flare gun" and good shots of the markings and waffenamts??

How about good pics of the holster also?

I even read all the info on "GB" Gunther Billing, and the only one I found was a Gunther Billing that was involved in some secret operations, and was shot when he was caught. Did you also read this information?

Regards, Steve

Quote by theduke635 View Post
    Its a west german police tear gas launching pistol i have a pic of one somewhere i will try to find it

Hi, Yes, please do post some pics, I would like to see it.

Regards, Steve

gewehr79
    ?

I've seen on Gunbroker.com ,one of those West German Flare pistols that is being talked about .It is very similar in appearance made by "Diana werke". It is chambered in 4 guage.If you don't look VERY close..they look the same.It is claimed that they only made 100 of these Diana pistols for police issue.I'm still convinced that this is an original piece.I really can't see someone go to the trouble of building a fake flare gun.?? Even the holster has the right smell of a wartime piece.I don't own a digital camera...at my age I probably couldn't figure them out...but I will see if I can get someone to take some pics.Where were you able to find the info on Gunter Billing?? I didn't get any on a web-search.
    Gewehr 79

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast