Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

About to buy my first K98k and I need help!

Article about: I want to combine both collecting and shooting. I've always been intrested in history and I enjoy hunting. So I want to be able to shoot with my k98 and i want it to be a collectible. Once a

Default Re: About to buy my first K98k and I need help!

Hi Paul,

That seems perfectly normal. When I take the bolt all the way back on my rifle, it has some side to side wiggle. In this position, the bolt is only being held in by the latch on the left side of the rifle. Nothing to worry about!

?

Great, You just made my day!

Thanks Gizmo

Paul

No worries Paul!

It never hurts to ask questions, especially when it concerns a pricey rifle that has the potential for catastrophic failure if something is wrong.

Enjoy your rifle, it looks great. I am very jealous of the wood on yours!

If it's a shooter, let us know how it goes after you've put a few rounds through it!

Here are a few pics of my K98k:
    About to buy my first K98k and I need help!About to buy my first K98k and I need help!About to buy my first K98k and I need help!

?

It is supposed to be a shooter as far as I know. Hopefully I have time to try it out this weekend.

Nice rifle you got there, cant wait to try k98. Heard so many great things about it.

Anyway, is there a lot of accidents with k98 or what did you mean by

"It never hurts to ask questions, especially when it concerns a pricey rifle that has the potential for catastrophic failure if something is wrong."

Should I get it checked out just to be sure its safe to fire?

Paul

I haven't heard of a lot of problems with k98s, but I do know that as the war went on, war time shortages, bombings, etc. caused the quality of rifles being made to drop. Plus, although you love your new rifle and take care of it, nobody really knows what abuse it experienced before you acquired it!

If I were you, I'd definitely get it checked out by a gunsmith before you fire it. Everything looks good by the pictures you've posted... but think about it... a round being fired is a controlled explosion. Wouldn't you want everything to function properly?

One thing to have checked is headspace. According to wikipedia: "If the headspace is too short, ammunition that is in specification may not chamber correctly. If headspace is too large, the cartridge case may rupture, possibly damaging the firearm and possibly injuring the shooter."

You should also clean and lubricate the rifle before you fire it!

?

I will get it checked out asap!

Thanks once again Gizmo!

Paul

It's really no problem, Paul. I'm glad I can help! Any gunsmith worth his weight in salt will be able to check headspace VERY quickly. Most (at least in the U.S.A.) don't even charge for it. !

I can't wait to see some pics of you shooting your new beauty!

?

So I got my mauser checked out and did some shooting earlier today and my god... The k98 is just so great... I'm really super happy with my rifle.

I'll go back and do some more shooting in the morning and post some pics or video when I'm back. :P

Paul

Sounds great, I can't wait to see!

?

Okay, I'm back with two videos of me and my friend trying out my k98. Only had my iphone and it could not handle the sound. But i'll do something better next time. Enjoy

http://youtu.be/sWpSDUTIXz0
    My friend shooting

http://youtu.be/bseiZ2de8hs
    Me shooting.

and a pic of me loading the rifle.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast