Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Absolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrap

Article about: I bought this pristine, mint and unissued British No. 4 Mark II .303 rifle out of the Shotgun News many years ago. Amazingly, it came still wrapped up in its original paper covering that had

Default Re: Absolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrap

The markings are correct for this rifle. It is a British Fazakerley made rifle. The number UF 55 A1115 means U (United Kingdom) F (Fazakerley) 55 (1955) A (first batch of 9999) 1115 (1115th Mk2 rifle off the production line since the then new serial number system began). All current British small arms still conform to this standard sequence.

Default Re: Absolutely Mint Unissued British .303 Enfield No 4 Mark II Rifle. Came still in original wrap

Hi,
    I am sure the serial number is correct to the rifle, however the Irish Army No. 4's are slightly earlier production and have a different, stamped, serial number in the range PF followed by 6 digits. Therefore this rifle has no connection with Irish surplus rifles.
    Regards,
    Draoich

?

Thanks to everyone for all of the great info on my rifle. I really appreciate it.

4md
    ?

Nice rifle rambob, these are the ultimate lee enfield in my opinion, the last and most advanced of the family, developed from years of combat in many conditions around the world. i would love one of these in this condition.
    A lot of collectors have these still wrapped sitting in their gun safes, mummified. If i owned one im not sure if i could keep it wrapped but then theyre worth more that way.
    regards Paul

Quote by Draoich View Post
    Hi,
    I am sure the serial number is correct to the rifle, however the Irish Army No. 4's are slightly earlier production and have a different, stamped, serial number in the range PF followed by 6 digits. Therefore this rifle has no connection with Irish surplus rifles.
    Regards,
    Draoich
    I believe they were destined for the Irish Army but the contract was cancelled and they remained in the Uk untill sold off in the 1990s. The earlier PF rifles like you say did go to Ireland I think lots were 1948/49 dated. Do you know which rifle replaced the No.4 in Irish service? L1A1,HK? Did you also have the Mk3 Bren LMG, L4A4?

I used to fire these beauties on the ranges when I was in the Air Cadets in the early 70s. They had one hell of a kick !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi,
    To answer m3bobby, The No. 4's were replaced in the Irish Army by the 7.62mm FN FAL in the early 1960's. The last Bren in use, as best I can recall, was the Mk. 2 in .303 calibre which was replaced in the 1960's by the 7.62mm GPMG manufactured by FN. All the earlier weapons (No. 4 Rifle and Bren LMG) continued to be used by the reserve until, at least, the end of the 1980's. The Gustav smg continued as a NCO's weapon until the withdrawal of the FN rifle. The FAL was replaced at some time in the period after 1980 by the AUG Steyr in 5.56mm. The No. 4 rifle was withdrawn from Reserve use at this time.
    Regards,
    Draoich

Draoich-I remember seeing a current affairs programme some years back about the Irish army and their then new rifles which were British IWs-these had a large failure/unserviceable rate (which was what the segment was about)-did the Steyrs replace or supplement these in Irish service?

Hi Lithgow,
    I think you must have mis-remembered as the Irish Defence Force never purchased the British SA80 rifle. It is possible that it was trialled here but that would have been in a quantity probably not greater than 10! However, I personally have never heard of even it being purchased for trials here. I saw at least one TV documentary about problems that the British Army had with the SA80 IW, perhaps that was the programme that you were thinking about?
    Regards,
    Draoich

rambob, take a look at this link

Survey of the 55 UF A series No4 MK2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2