Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Advice on bren, is it right?

Article about: Hello all, I have only just registered on the site and this is my first post so be gentle with me if I make a pigs ear of it . I have been given some money and I am looking to buy the classi

Grumpygardener
    ?

Default Advice on bren, is it right?

Hello all,

I have only just registered on the site and this is my first post so be gentle with me if I make a pigs ear of it .

I have been given some money and I am looking to buy the classic Bren. I am not to bothered by model etc but would like it to be ww2.

I am currently looking at this Inglis 1943 Mk1m.

I am no expert and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice on bren, is it right?   Advice on bren, is it right?  

Advice on bren, is it right?   Advice on bren, is it right?  

Advice on bren, is it right?  

Welcome to the board, I hope you find all the advice you will receive here of use.

The Bren is a fine LMG and the right gun is a good investment. I split the Brens into two groups, original spec and mixed bags, collectors tend to prefer original spec and ideally would rather have a matching numbers gun. Military vehicle enthusiasts prefer the mixed bag Brens as they tend to be a little cheaper and don't mind if they look well used.

The Bren in your photos has a reasonable spec, the butt is the Mk2 which is a later replacement but the lower is a Mk1m but as the finish is different to the body I suspect its non matching. The barrel is either a 1941 inglis Mk1m or more likely a Enfield made Mk1 and is also missing the sight protectors (£12 ish on ebay). The bipod is also correct being the Mk1 adjustable but it has been pinned/welded/brazed into the up position and the catches removed, this is typical of Indian, South African and New Zealand DP guns.

ATB, Chris.

Grumpygardener
    ?

Many thanks Chris,

The INGLIS stamp looked a bit funny to me. Gun being offered at £485.

Not sure how this compares.

Tom

I'm not expert in Bren, 3 years ago, I saw the guard in Katmandhou, using them. I asked to the sergent if he liked this weapon, no answer! They don't like questions on weapons.

Quote by Grumpygardener View Post
    Many thanks Chris,

The INGLIS stamp looked a bit funny to me. Gun being offered at £485.

Not sure how this compares.

Tom
    Price is OK ish but I suspect you may find one with a Mk1 stock for similar money. The Inglis marking is a little crude but it was applied using a pantograph and the brass copy used often wore out.

Hi grumpy,
    I have taken a shot of the marking on my Inglis they are a good buy mine is a mk 1, makes a great addition top the collection.
    Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice on bren, is it right?