Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another K43 for review.

Article about: Hi guys, I have a chance to buy this K43, price seems really good. Lost the last one I was going after since it went over 5K. These are the only pictures I have of now, but requesting more.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Looks ok at a glance, wood does look a little shiny, but this may just be a lot of light in the room. Such a weird rifle... I'm lookin at it and it finally came to me, it's a cross between a 98k and Mini 14
    The more I look at it, could be the lighting.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Dannyjunkfish View Post
    The more I look at it, could be the lighting.
    That is what I thought. BUT if you look at picture pic # 3 I see what looks like some varnish.

Another K43 for review.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Are they not supposed to have some type of original varnish on the stock?

Yes they all have a sealer from the factory that keeps the wood from splintering and rotting. It will naturally have a slight gloss. The shiny high gloss is what you need to stay away from. I still say it looks original.

MAP
    ?

I could pull mine out and compare. To me it looks fine. Was just pointing this out.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Another K43 for review.

This is my 1943 mosin that was refinished and prepared for export. Notice the high gloss. Its an amateur hour quick job but was necessary on a lot of these ww2 rifles. Ignore the background things i am unorganized again.. I'm still 90% sure yours isn't refinished but for a rifle like this I wouldn't hesitate to buy it even I it was resealed. JMO..

One last thing, check the bore rifling. If there isn't much wear to it and the stock matches the barrel, that would tell me this rifle hasn't seen combat and It would lead me to believe in the originality of the stock finish..

Whatever is on there doesn't look very thick in pic 2 and 3, and I don't see any evidence of sanding, certainly not of excessive sanding?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    Yes they all have a sealer from the factory that keeps the wood from splintering and rotting. It will naturally have a slight gloss. The shiny high gloss is what you need to stay away from. I still say it looks original.
    The one thing I was thinking was I know late WWII the Germans stopped finishing their stocks with any type of finish, just left them raw. I believe they started in late 44. Looking at the finish of this k43 I would say this is early to mid 44 (buy the milling/casting). All speculation here.

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    Another K43 for review.

This is my 1943 mosin that was refinished and prepared for export. Notice the high gloss. Its an amateur hour quick job but was necessary on a lot of these ww2 rifles. Ignore the background things i am unorganized again.. I'm still 90% sure yours isn't refinished but for a rifle like this I wouldn't hesitate to buy it even I it was resealed. JMO..
    Gotta love that peeling shellac! Gets over %#$%# everything!! That one looks laminated...but seeing how it has the screw in sling slots I don't think so..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast