Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Another K43 for review.

Article about: Hi guys, I have a chance to buy this K43, price seems really good. Lost the last one I was going after since it went over 5K. These are the only pictures I have of now, but requesting more.

Says there is no serial # on the stock. I know Walther stopped marking the stocks late WWII, I believe this stock should have a serial # but Not 100% sure. Any ideas?

You're asking for an opinion, but it would depend on the price and what you want out of the rifle?

Having a mismatched bolt or bolt carrier is a mismatched rifle -
    They weren't made mismatched or issued mismatched, and probably not ever carried by a German soldier mismatched - there is an argument that some very late STG44's did leave the factory mismatched, I have one that has a stock part one digit different to the rest of the gun - but they are not often encountered.
    Now, post-war, assemblies, that is another matter.

Thousand of G43s were imported pre-1968 - so, they will not have import marks on them - these will often have been made up of parts. Look in the back of almost any 50's or 60's gun magazine these were sold very cheaply by companies like interarms, etc.,

The stock has been lightly sanded and something applied to it - it isn't an original WW2 finish.
    US hunters and shooters were notorious in the 50's and 60's for cleaning up their surplus guns, yours has been done over quite sparingly.
    The original late war G43 and K43's had wood-work-machine-chatter marks all over them, and are ugly as sin, who can blame the 60's gun enthusiast for doing a little TLC.
    *You can see the remains of the chatter marks on your pictured stock.

Matching guns are out there, check Gunbroker and Gunboards, they are NOT exceedingly rare, and can be had for $2500 to $3K - a matching gun is a matching gun.
    A mismatched rifle will not ever be a matching rifle, and their resale value reflects this.

However, if you re-enact and plan to tap the barrel for a BFA, or want to shoot the rifle, by switching out the springs for an Apfeltor shooters kit, then mismatched is definitely the way to go!

I wouldn't buy the rifle pictured for a dollar more than $1700 - or so.
    I would prefer to hunt for a matching at $2200 or $2500 which is where they are if you look.
    But, I don't shoot my G/K43 rifles, I enjoy collecting them.

I bought a matching AC44 example last month - and I know of a second, I am circling in the $2k-$2.5K price range.

Hope this helps -
    If you are serious about researching these rifles - forget the internet forums, try the old way of gathering information.
    buy Dennis Weavers' "Hitler's Garands" from Collectors Grade Publications.
    or, "Desperate Measures" also by Weaver from the same publisher.
    "German Automatic Weapons 1941-45" Chris McNab - Osprey Books.
    "Testing the war Weapons" by Mullin also has an excellent piece on the G/K43 -

Thanks for the great info pitfighter, I always try to get firearms as original as possible, I don't want any place holders. So after some research of what you stated, I am going to pass on this one. I appreciate the input.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4