Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington

Article about: Well here we go again, I just bought another French rifle. This time it's a Remington made Berthier. I had sold off some duplicate rifles lately and had a little money in my pocket so again

?

Default Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington

Well here we go again, I just bought another French rifle. This time it's a Remington made Berthier. I had sold off some duplicate rifles lately and had a little money in my pocket so again I went outside my conservative, (cheap), norm, and bought another little more expensive French rifle like the MAS 44 and the M90 Cavalry carbine I posted about earlier.
    But alas, I couldn't pass this one up either. The only other Remington Berthier in the same condition I ever saw was at a show a year ago and it was ridiculously priced at $1600. I would have liked to get it as one of my other interests is collecting US manufactured rifles made for foreign governments, but not for that price. This Berthier will make three of the US made foriegn rifles I have and it will keep company with the other Remington Russian M91 Mosin Nagant and the New England Westinghouse M91 manufactured ones I already have.
    Both the US made Moslin Nagants were used for training US troops during WWI and I read some of the undelivered Berthiers were also. The Westinghouse rifle is a scarce one having an extra stock bolt added to strengthen it for grenade firing. Ray

Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt RemingtonAnother new Berthier this one is a Mint condt RemingtonAnother new Berthier this one is a Mint condt RemingtonAnother new Berthier this one is a Mint condt RemingtonAnother new Berthier this one is a Mint condt RemingtonAnother new Berthier this one is a Mint condt RemingtonAnother new Berthier this one is a Mint condt RemingtonAnother new Berthier this one is a Mint condt RemingtonAnother new Berthier this one is a Mint condt RemingtonAnother new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington

?

Default Re: Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington

The US made Remington and Westinghouse Russian M/N's
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington   Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington  

Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington   Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington  

Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington   Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington  

Another new Berthier this one is a Mint condt Remington  

Excellent example of the Berthier long rifle you have-do you have the 'knitting needle' bayo for it? It had always puzzled me why the Berthiers only had the 3 round Mannicher clip magazine as adopted but they had been intended for issue to Colonial troops-this meant that like the other empires most colonials were equipped with inferior (in fire power terms at least) weapons in case of revolts etc.

?

The 3 shot Berthier was standard issue for French troops until 1916 when it was expanded to five shots. I don't have the bayonet for it. This Remingyon never made it over to France as the contract was canceled because of problems and it stayed in the US and some were used by US troops for training and others just stored and sold off later to the public, Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 12-03-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Ray, You sure hit a home run with this French Rifle...They are a true collectors item... Thanks for showing...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Great pick up Ray. I haven't seen one in that condition in at least 10 years. The bayonets for those rifles haave really gone up in price in the last few years. I tried to fond one that was reasonably priced for my 15/34. Most were well over $100.