Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Project, 1845 Springfield Musket

Article about: I bought this model 1842, 1845 dated Springfield Musket a few years ago, the wood had been cut down. I have got around to getting the parts I need to restore it, I am not in a rush to do thi

?

Default Another Project, 1845 Springfield Musket

I bought this model 1842, 1845 dated Springfield Musket a few years ago, the wood had been cut down.
    I have got around to getting the parts I need to restore it, I am not in a rush to do this, but I will get around to it.

This is a .69 Cal Musket, and would fire either a .69 bullet or a .58 cal round ball and 3 .31 cal buckshot.
    The rounds came wrapped in paper in packs of 10, the top of the paper bitten off and the contents poured down the barrel..it was then rammed down with the ram rod, and a percussion cap was placed on the nipple.

These were in very wide use during the US Civil War

Dean O
    Canada

Another Project, 1845 Springfield MusketAnother Project, 1845 Springfield MusketAnother Project, 1845 Springfield MusketAnother Project, 1845 Springfield MusketAnother Project, 1845 Springfield MusketAnother Project, 1845 Springfield Musket

?

Beautiful rifle. I have always liked these early american rifles. My dream is to own a Sharp, original of course, caliber doesnt matter.

?

A Couple of weeks ago I saw some Original Brass Framed Henry Rifles...they were $20,000 US each!!!

DEan O
    Canada

?

Quote by CampX View Post
    A Couple of weeks ago I saw some Original Brass Framed Henry Rifles...they were $20,000 US each!!!

DEan O
    Canada
    Those Henry's were also used in the American civil war and are veeeeerrry hard to find today.

?

Dean
    That is a worth while project Sir.

?

Nice little project! Will the replacement forearm need much inleting?

Jim

?

Yes the fore stock will have to be cut and matched up under the lower barrel band, all of the barrel band locking springs need slotted inlets into the forestock. I called a company I have supplied 1853 Enfield parts to years ago, they remembered me, and were going to set up at a Civil War reenactment, my friend took the springfield with him to the event..the company ( who I believe are the best in the US for high quality parts of that period) brought 3 different shaded forestocks and matched the one I got to my stock, as it will be the same colour when the stock is finished, the white metal parts will be toned down to match the rest... they told me the price on the phone... retail, however when my friend picked them up, I got them wholesale!!!! Saved a lot on their kindness, That is why I rarely insult Americans ( except the movies!! LOL) As a Canadian I have always found them to be Great People and willing to help..maybe it's just the ones I chose to befriend or deal with...aside from making fun of Canadian Gun Laws and our health care, we seem to get along very well!!! ALMOST MAKES ME FEEL BAD WE BURNED THE WHITE HOUSE IN 1814, almost!! LOL

This 170 year old Musket has the tightest lock I have ever seen and it is all original as I have checked it, I love the "42" and used an original for 15 years when I reenacted the Civil War. I cannot wait to shoot this one, I may do it before I restore it..then again after.
    I have over 400 rolled and tied paper cartridges in the basement..all they need is the powder and ball and buck rounds
    I really love these .69 cal arm cannons.

Thank you for your comments

DEan O
    Canada

?

Nice Springfield Musket . I look forward to seeing some in action pic's when you shoot it!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Here are 3 different model 1842 rounds. The 2 on the left are .69 bullets, the one on the right is a .69 buck and ball load, a .58 cal ball and 3 .31 cal buckshot, all of these are dug up from Virginia.

Dean O
    Canada

Another Project, 1845 Springfield Musket

?

Thats Cool.I wonder what stories it could tell?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast