Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another SMLE

Article about: Here's another SMLE which was added to my collection this morning. Its a BSA & Co, 1917 dated SMLE No1 Mk111*. Woodwork is of the earlier type which still has the characteristic swelling

Default Another SMLE

Here's another SMLE which was added to my collection this morning. Its a BSA & Co, 1917 dated SMLE No1 Mk111*. Woodwork is of the earlier type which still has the characteristic swelling to the left side of the stock by the barrel band. matching numbers to barrel, breech, rear sight and muzzle cap. Butt disc marker is original - although not marked. The top of the butt plate carries some markings... 11 followed by 5 over 5, this might be a unit marking! Photo of all three rifles in my collection... From top... 1906 dated LSA & Co floating charger loading SMLE No1 Mk1* converted to .22 cal... 1906 dated Enfield SMLE No1 Mk1*** upgraded to charger bridge loading for the Army at Royal Navy Ordnance depot... 1917 dated BSA & Co SMLE No1 Mk111*

Another SMLEAnother SMLEAnother SMLEAnother SMLEAnother SMLEAnother SMLEAnother SMLEAnother SMLEAnother SMLE

Absolutely beautiful steve,they all look incredible,especially nice to see mk1's instead of the much more popular mk3,well done and thanks for showing these trio of iconic bolt action rifles................

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Absolutely beautiful steve,they all look incredible,especially nice to see mk1's instead of the much more popular mk3,well done and thanks for showing these trio of iconic bolt action rifles................
    Couldn't agree more an iconic piece of hardware !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I shot my first Deer with one of those.I bought the Rifle for $60 off my Fathers Boss,it came with 100 rounds of CAC Military Ammo.Some years later I found a Bayonet for it.

I am interested as you must be to see how it shoots.

I'm not at all interested in how it shoots! None of my rifles are capable of being fired anyway. I gave up shooting quite a few years ago. It is more trouble than its worth in this country. As I am Now only interested in the history and mechanics of these guns it doesn't really matter to me that they cannot be fired. The crazy state of gun ownership in this country makes it easier for us to get a genuine deactivated weapon of any type than it is to get a non-firing replica. Now how stupid is that?

Lovely weapon you've got there Steve!....

Yep couldn't agree more with you steve,think this type of conversation has been round the block a few times,I know a guy who owns a live M4 with a club as long as it only shoots single rounds and cannot off load the entire mag,I said whats the point of owning a fully automatic rifle if it has to be fired one shot at a time,but I too get p...... off when the caption states you have to belong to a reenactment group or theatre company,load of bull if you ask me.

Very nice as said a iconic rifle, is there any markings under the rear handguard?

The marks under the rear hand guard are just the usual military proof marks and WD broad arrow. The barrel is dated '17 and so must be the original to the gun. There were two other rifles on the same stall. One had a butt disc marked to the 22nd Manchester's. It didn't look a fake disc either.

Great rifle!! i recently purchased one smle mag beautiful weapon