Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any one help identify / value the gun sight Ive acquired

Article about: hi Stephen it does not suprise me much that this should turn up in your neck of the woods many diferent kinds of mortars and the like turnd up there i was lucky in that in my service i didnt

Default Any one help identify / value the gun sight Ive acquired

Hi All
    I received a German gun site from a friend can any one help identify or suggest a value believe to be war time. The markings appear German anyway.
    I've tried to upload if it doesn't work try the link please
    HTML Code:
    http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Fnjg8MpoToI/THm5ZG6EyoI/AAAAAAAAAPY/DKPjBa5UOSM/s640/SANY1475.JPG
    This is my first post on this site so please excuse my inexperience.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any one help identify / value the gun sight Ive acquired   Any one help identify / value the gun sight Ive acquired  

Any one help identify / value the gun sight Ive acquired  

Default Re: Any one help identify / value the gun sight Ive acquired

Can no one help?

Close up photographs of any markings could be useful in finding out what this exactly is, it might not even be a sight for a gun/mortar and could be a piece of old surveying equipment.

Thanks

Danny

Will try and take a few cleaner shots showing the detail and markings. It states 'mehr' & 'Weniger' as well as 'hoher' & 'tiefer' and 'RblF Flak' 'dig' 'Nr 12656' 'M' 'H/6400'

Hi Stephen,

The RblF was usually mounted on the very top tube assembly of the Flak 18, or 88mm gun as it is better known - not for direct fire sighting, but was for sighting in to the flak batteries' collimator or aiming stakes for proper elevation, or towards another 88's RblF. That's why they had red collars, to make it easy to sight into a kamerads relative gun position for reference. Almost always see them on anti-aircraft use, the guns were often set up in batteries of four. I believe this model of sight was also used by mortar batteries for firing co-ordination as well.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned, any Idea were I could see a picture of one fitted.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Stephen,

I believe this model of sight was also used by mortar batteries for firing co-ordination as well.

Regards, Ned.

I must admit Ned that this sight unit does remind me superficially of the C2 Dial Sight unit that we used to use on the 81mm mortar and GPMG in the Sf role for indirect fire role. Also of the indirect fire sight used on the Vickers and 3 inch mortar.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

The german writing may rule out the 81mm mortor found a web site that shows the one for a 88mm looks very similar but not 100% but may just be a slightly different model number See web page. III. Fire Control Equipment | 4. Sighting and Fire Control Equipment | TM E9-369A: German 88-mm Antiaircraft Gun Materiel - Technical Manual, U.S. War Department, June 29, 1943 (Lone Sentry)
    Mine has a mirror above eye piece to let observer check a level bubble housed just above eye piece.

Quote by stephen NI View Post
    Will try and take a few cleaner shots showing the detail and markings. It states 'mehr' & 'Weniger' as well as 'hoher' & 'tiefer' and 'RblF Flak' 'dig' 'Nr 12656' 'M' 'H/6400'
    Hi Stephen, im fluent in german and the markings you posted don't make much sense for a mortar. rather a flak gun:

Mehr & Weniger: More & Less
    Hoher & Tiefer: Higher & Lower

hope it helps

Thanks Berthier92 - Yea matched very closely the ones shown on the web site I ref'ed above.

Can anyone offer a value? May be willing to sell to help fund my 1944 Willys Jeep restoration. Got it from a friend of the family but he knows very little about it and can't offer any story to explain it turning up in Northern Ireland.

thanks In advance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast