Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone Know This?

Article about: Just found this forum - excellent information source. The image shows a .22 rimfire revolver engraved LIPOSI LD 1873 ELEY'S CARTRIDGE RIM-FIRE. The spur has been broken off the hammer but, a

Syxie
    ?

Default Anyone Know This?

Just found this forum - excellent information source.

The image shows a .22 rimfire revolver engraved LIPOSI LD 1873 ELEY'S CARTRIDGE RIM-FIRE. The spur has been broken off the hammer but, apart from the deterioration of the surface, the weapon is still functional.

I believe it belonged to my Great Grandfather, in the UK, but there's no other family knowledge of it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this please?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone Know This?  

Default Re: Anyone Know This?

Hi,

I do now that Eley is a well established and respected producer of hihg quality ammunition.
    They are specialized in .22 ammo
    my best guess is that this piece is a special edition made for Eley because in 1873 the Eley brothers made the announcement to take the company "public" wich they eventualy established in 1874

But this is just a quess...
    there is no actual information that eley ltd ever manufactured a .22 rimfire pistol in their own factory.

If you wish to know more about Eley you can visit their website

Eley LtD

Perhaps they can help you with finding the info you seek?

Syxie
    ?

Quote by Squadra33 View Post
    Hi,

I do now that Eley is a well established and respected producer of hihg quality ammunition.
    They are specialized in .22 ammo
    my best guess is that this piece is a special edition made for Eley because in 1873 the Eley brothers made the announcement to take the company "public" wich they eventualy established in 1874

But this is just a quess...
    there is no actual information that eley ltd ever manufactured a .22 rimfire pistol in their own factory.

If you wish to know more about Eley you can visit their website

Eley LtD

Perhaps they can help you with finding the info you seek?
    Thanks for that - I hadn't realised that Eley might have made (had made) any weapons. WIll follow that up.

your welcome, hope it helped a little

* i will also ask my grandfather as he is weapon maker himself and also is a Eley reseller for sports & competition shooting

Liposi is a place in Greece. A lot of antique firearms were marked such as your sample with the type of ammunition that it used. It is therefore not correct to say that the firearm was produced by Eley, the ammo producer. These types of revolvers were produced at that time in history by a large number of different companies, large and small. Yours is most likely to have been produced in Greece. I can think of no reason why something made by Eley (British) would be marked with 'Liposi LD' (Greece).
    It would be helpful if you could please post some close-ups of the markings on your revolver.
    Tom

Yes, Some close up picts. of the pistol's markings would help a lot, espically the proof marks...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.